no garage door opener?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for doing the test getakey. I didn't think that a drive off situation would be possible. Even if the kind-of-shrill reports about these magic black boxes prove true, so what? It's really just a less damaging alternative to the classic window smash or crowbar under the door handle methods.

If you park your car close enough to your keys (mine is half a city block and five stories down so this doesn't really apply), you probably want to leave the lock/unlock chirp on as well.

getakey said:
I tested it just now
Car will not start unless fob is inside car. I even put window down and held it just outside the car. Will not start.

Confirmed.

Key held outside drivers window (RHD car):
IMG_2187b.jpg

Car requests remote be held against steering column when you press the start button:
IMG_2186b.jpg

There was another similar message but I didn't get a photo of it. The car definitely knows if the fob is inside the cabin.

Clearly, the electronics are not designed by Toyota :)

after all this, I have no success programming the button

I've reviewed several manuals and posts and tried all the options. Programming all previous cars worked fine and they had homelink

Basic process I followed
Hold 1 and 3 buttons simultaneously until rapid flash to erase any previous programming
Press button on garage door opener to put in learning mode (red LED blinks)
Press #1 button in i3 for 2 seconds several times

Did the above at least 6 times

The Genie manual states the red LED on opener will stop blinking and be solid red when homelink button is programmed. I watched the LED while wife pushed the button in learn mode and genie LED never stopped blinking

Nothing

It is a very fiddly process. IIRC I had to repeat the motions several times before it "took", I used the same method every time and I have no idea why it finally accepted the coding on the final attempt instead of the first. I held the remote up to the mirror when I programmed mine. Even after several months it still has trouble remembering the code on the first close of the day.

my other car, not a BMW, but also a 2014 with Homelink did fine. I could not program from the remote and had to use the learn mode on opener receiver.

I've done everything the same way on the i3 and have now repeated more than 6 times

Back