Order backlog and build dates

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewDebbie

I asked BMW-i UK about the current backlog. They replied within an hour...

For an UK i3 ordered today the approximate build date is

EV June 2014
REx April 2014

The email cautions that exact build dates depend on options.

These are build dates, not delivery dates. That probably means no i3 for us. We don't want to wait that long :(

Shame, but from reading some of your comments over the last few months I got the feeling you always had a few niggling doubts for a variety of reasons so hopefully you aren't too disappointed.

What do you think you'll get instead ?

Zoe won't work for us. Kango Z.E. and Fluence Z.E. come up short on winter range.

Leaf Tekna looks most likely. We've driven the previous version but not the updated Leaf.

Previous Leaf was OK but I wasn't overly impressed with the handling, the seats or the sound system. Nissan has improved all of them. We will be taking a Leaf for a 24-hour test drive.

Hopefully we can drive an i3 before making a final decision. I'm convinced the i3 is the better car. It is possible we will like the i3 enough to be willing to deal with the delay. Our Z4 goes back in Early March. Living with our 2005 van as the only car until August won't be easy.

I ordered an all electric at the start of November and I've been given a delivery date in July… Rather disappointing, hopefully my agent can do something clever before then. I'm not sure I'm prepared to wait 9 months for the I3, there will be some interesting cars on sale before the end of next year (Mercedes B class and Audi A3 E-tron).

I flashed the cash for the order last Thursday, they said they'd get back to me with a build date. Heard nothing, so I went in yesterday as just passing. They have been given a date in September 8-S. The head electric sales bod at the dealership thinks it's an error.

It's for a pure battery car, and he says that they are taking more orders for Rex models, but that dealers are going principally for battery models as demonstrators etc. He thinks that we should realistically expect June/July. Thankfully we're comfortable with waiting.

ChrisRayner said:
I flashed the cash for the order last Thursday, they said they'd get back to me with a build date. Heard nothing, so I went in yesterday as just passing. They have been given a date in September 8-S. The head electric sales bod at the dealership thinks it's an error.

It's for a pure battery car, and he says that they are taking more orders for Rex models, but that dealers are going principally for battery models as demonstrators etc. He thinks that we should realistically expect June/July. Thankfully we're comfortable with waiting.

I must say BMW is very vague so far in giving good info, but it is also new for them

Yup my delivery date in July is apparently a good one as they are now back to October for deliveries I don't think BMW expected to sell so many pure electrics in the UK as the REx has much shorter delivery timescales. Again my dealer thinks my delivery can be improved as BMW will look at allocations and also increasing manufacturing in the new year, all very vague but we will see.

Placed an order (UK) for Rex on 29th Nov and been given delivery of 3rd week April 2014....... not sure I can wait that long :-(

Back