Painted front side-reflectors - DIY

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auxnbus

In an effort to ‘try something different’, I decided to paint my front side-markers to match the blue accents on the rest of the car. (Yes, I know this is not legal in the US. So please save the comments)

10449468_10153699246894631_2605564880286296236_n.jpg

Not sure how I like it yet – I may end up going with body-matched Iconic Silver instead, but thought I would share the results and provide a quick DIY for those interested. I’ll try to get some picture this weekend, but really you shouldn’t need any as this is a fairly straight-forward process.
Materials needed:
• 8mm hex socket
• Double-sided Foam Tape (http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-2-I...91&sr=8-2&keywords=double+sided+foam+tape+1/4)
• Paint of your choice, I chose an aerosol can (spray paint), but that’s your call (http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/bmw/2014/i3/)
• Clear coat if you so-desire

1. Your first step will be to crank the wheel until full-lock – either way is fine as it will afford you plenty of room to work on both sides. You may choose to remove your wheels but it is not at all necessary for this project.
2. Next, take your 8mm hex socket and remove the screws fastening the wheel-well lining to the fender. You can get away with removing only the three that run next to the side marker, however removing a fourth lower screw makes the job a little easier if you have big hands. You don’t need to remove the liner completely, just remove enough screws to allow your hands to fit into the fender well.
3. This is the hardest part of the project – actually removing the side markers. They are held in place by a strong adhesive double-sided tape. I’m sure there is an easier way that what I describe below – if you think of something please let me know! (Pro tip from Marcus: Use a heat gun to soften the adhesive!!)
The best method I found for removing these is to stick one hand into the fender-well and find the bottom corner of the side-marker. You will be doing this blindly, but you should know it when you find it. Try to wedge your fingers/fingernails between the side-marker and the fender, and pull back using strong but steady force. At the same time use your other hand (I used my thumb), to push the bottom corner of the side marker from the outside with the same strong and steady force.
It will take quite a bit of effort and some time, but you will start to hear the adhesive start to give – just keep pushing/pulling, working your way up as you slowly separate the marker from the fender. Use caution as to avoid bending the side-marker, as you can separate the reflector from its backing if it is bent too much.
4. After you struggle for 5-10 minutes, you will eventually free the thing from its adhesive. Pull it from the fender-well and behold:
You will want to scrape away any residual tape from the side marker, and do your best to remove residual tape from the inside of your fender to ensure the marker will re-seat flush when you go to replace it.
5. Now it’s time to lay your first layer of paint onto the marker. This part is easy; anyone who has used spray paint should know what to do, so I won’t go into too much detail.
6. While the first layer sets on the first side marker, go repeat Steps 2- 4 for the other side. By the time you have finished, the first marker will be ready for another layer.
7. You can choose to do as many layers as you want – I went with two layers with no clear coat since the other blue accents on the car don’t really look like they have a clear coat. If you are doing a body-matched color you will probably want to do a layer or two of clear coat. If you didn’t remove residual adhesive from the fender before, now is a good time to do it while your paint drys.
8. Once you have applied all your layers and let the paint set/dry, it’s time to reinstall them. Take your double-sided foam tape and apply it to the flat part around the reflector housing. I just cut the strips to fit.
9. With your foam tape applied, take your markers back to the car, slip them into the fender-well from the gap created in Step 2 and replace the side-markers, being very careful to ensure it is properly lined up before applying pressure to set the adhesive.
10. Now just replace the screws to re-secure the wheel-well liner and you are good to go!
A couple notes:
• The blue paint (B94) from automotivetouchup.com is a very close, but not exact match for the blue accents on the car. Unless I place them right next to each other, it looks perfect – and even then it can be argued that the material/surface difference is to blame. However, I can’t speak to the other colors they offer.
• If you want to preserve your OEM reflectors, you can choose to purchase a spare set for ~$25 apiece. Your other option is to buy pre-painted units from iND Distribution for $110 (http://ind-distribution.com/ind/brands/ind/i01-i3-painted-front-reflectors)

I used a heat gun to soften the adhesive and remove mine. I wrapped them in smoked vinyl, front and back as well as the mirror markers and lower rear bumper lights.

Back