Parking brake does not engage

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRPH

Hoping somebody can help me. Went to apply the parking brake and it pulls up without any resistance at all. Tried replacing fuses 37 and 40 - they looked good, but just to be sure put in new fuses. If anybody could guide me on something else to try I would be appreciative.

There's a noticeable spring in the parking brake switch...sounds like your switch is broken. Does the indicator light and screen icon show up at all? Haven't had an issue with my i3, but my GT's parking brake switch was flaky when new, and replaced.

No, light never comes on when you pull it up. Called for an appointment- woman on the phone thinks it can be fixed during an I can wait visit; just hoping she is correct.

If it's just a switch replacement, maybe. Not sure how easy/hard it is to R&R that switch. Sounds more like a hardware switch problem than anything else.

Just for everybody's information. Took my i3 to BMW of Freehold. Pleased with the service and would highly recommend them. They are going to replace the engine bolt, update the software, and do the normal service- an overnight visit to the spa. BAD- it will take 15 days for the parking brake switch to come from Germany; I will also need to re-code it I guess. They don't know how long it will take to replace the switch once it arrives, so it will probably get another overnight visit at that time. Got a 428i loaner- not a fan; want my i3 back.

Back