Parking Package - Can it Self Park in a Perpendicular Space?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraturtle

Having begrudgingly accepted the initially undesired Parking Package in order to keep my wife from having to walk the 58 miles to work and back every day for an additional three months, I'd like to see if it may be of some use. She has not had a need to parallel park since her driving test 39 years ago, so she will probably not be starting now - automatically or not. I would like to know if the feature can automatically park the car in a perpendicular space, be it head-in, or back-in.

No idea about the perpendicular space parking function but Iam fascinated that you say your wife has had no need to parallel park for 39 years! I can only assume she never goes anywhere near a village, town or city. Living near Brighton I parallel park regularly and having seen the BMW video of the car doing it itself I doubt I would bother to use it as I suspect that any capable driver could park the car quicker.

ultraturtle said:
I would like to know if the feature can automatically park the car in a perpendicular space, be it head-in, or back-in.

I sincerely don't know. But, ... if you ordered the Parking Package, then you have the rear camera. Back-in perpendicular parking with the camera should be easy as pie ;)

MikeS said:
No idea about the perpendicular space parking function but Iam fascinated that you say your wife has had no need to parallel park for 39 years! I can only assume she never goes anywhere near a village, town or city.
Over time, curbside parallel parking spaces have gradually gone away. From a recent overview of U.S. parking policies (http://media.oregonlive.com/portland_impact/other/ITDP-Parking-Report.pdf):

A growing number of cities, such as New York City, are removing on-street parking to put in exclusive bus lanes, pedestrian zones and bike lanes. Denver, San Francisco, and Los Angeles have all developed parking plans which identified a variety of options for removing parking to convert street space for alternative uses.

agj said:
ultraturtle said:
I would like to know if the feature can automatically park the car in a perpendicular space, be it head-in, or back-in.

I sincerely don't know. But, ... if you ordered the Parking Package, then you have the rear camera. Back-in perpendicular parking with the camera should be easy as pie ;)

No, parking assist only does parallel parking, reversing into a space while turning the wheel left then right (or vice versa) for you, so you're in line with the kerb.

As for the prevalence or otherwise of parallel spaces, I think it's more common in the UK where MikeS and I are from, than it is in the US.

AndyW said:
...No, parking assist only does parallel parking, reversing into a space while turning the wheel left then right (or vice versa) for you, so you're in line with the kerb.
Andy, thanks for the definitive answer. So, I guess I have use of a very expensive rear-view camera. Do the forward looking sensors help judge how far to pull forward into a space?

Back