Pathetic charging of i3 compared to B Class Electric

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SmartElectric said:
mindmachine said:
I looked at Tesla and at nearly twice the price it just wasn't what I wanted, even if it had a lower price premium, I can't see carrying around that much weight and I did not want a conventional car look either. I might have sprung for the model X SUV, it is more to my liking, but again way to heavy and high priced.

Just be aware that limitations such as the less capable BMW i3 L2 AC charger compared to the equally priced competition of the Mercedes B class ED is a real and factual difference in the usability of these two vehicles.

<begin sarcasm>
I looked at the BMW i3 and at nearly twice the price of my Smart ED, it just wasn't what I wanted, even if it was cheaper, I could't see carrying around 500 more Kg and two extra seats and certainly not an optional gas engine. I might spring for the BMW i8 which is more to my liking, but it is too fast and highly priced.
<.s>

Seriously tho, the fact the Tesla or Mercedes B class ED are heavier than the BMW i3 is not a reason in my book to mark them down, rather, it's their far larger set of luxury, practicality (storage) and performance attributes which are compelling. The Tesla is in a class of it's own, and the constant bashing on this BMW oriented forum for reasons that defy logic makes me chuckle...

In truth, if the BMW i3 had been available in Canada 18 months ago when I bought my Smart Electric car, it would have been on my short list to purchase. Then again, I was looking for something very specific, and found it.

Cudo's on your purchase and ownership of the fantastic BMW i3.

Limitation? I don't see any limitation in the L2 charger, most Level 2 chargers in public charging locations charge at 6.6 or 6.8kwh max, and my home charger does 7.2kwh and the max capability of the i3 is 7.4kwh so there is no limitation. Unless you are referring to the KLE reduced charging problem, but that is being fixed as we speak. Plus if you buy DC fast charging option you can charge on the 50kw CCS L3 when they are rolled out or then there is also the Bosch 25kw CCS L3 units too which will be faster then the L2's. The faster CCS L3 will charge to 80% in 20 minutes and full in under an hour. So limitations, really what specs are you looking at.

As for Tesla size and weight contribute significantly to it's lower efficiency and the MB B-EV is also on the heavy side and less efficient for it as well. Plus over the years I have had Porsche, Audi, Lexus, ect. Somehow MB just doesn't cut it for me, never has and probably never will, never even considered buying one. I considered a Bentley for a while but never sprung for one. I can afford whatever I want, just don't like the Tesla that much and certainly not the MB. Especially not the MB, as they did nothing more then convert an ICE car body into an EV, no big deal there in my book, no innovation. At least the Tesla is innovative and cool looking I will grant you that and I do like the computer control set up a lot, very futuristic.

If you are going after a full charge with a CCS unit, the BMW sponsored 25Kw unit may end up nearly as fast as a full 50Kw unit because it won't spend as much time or energy trying to keep the batteries cool during the charge, allowing max output for longer. Certainly, on the short-term basis, half the max won't get you as much in 20-minutes, but still will be much faster than using a level 2 unit. FOr most people, getting that boost in a short time is useful.

jadnashuanh said:
If you are going after a full charge with a CCS unit, the BMW sponsored 25Kw unit may end up nearly as fast as a full 50Kw unit because it won't spend as much time or energy trying to keep the batteries cool during the charge, allowing max output for longer. Certainly, on the short-term basis, half the max won't get you as much in 20-minutes, but still will be much faster than using a level 2 unit. FOr most people, getting that boost in a short time is useful.

The BMW i3 will fill up the existing sub-20kWh with a 25kW charger, only because it's small battery size limits the charge rate with a bigger charger.

That's not the case with a Mercedes B-Class ED with 36kWh battery, or Toyota RAV4 EV with 48kWh battery. Obviously, they can handle a far higher kW rate at the same "C" rate into the battery, adding more miles than a smaller battery car can go.

mindmachine said:
I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT THE BOSCH 25 KW UNIT BMW IS INSTALLING AND I SAID MY PORTABLE UNIT IS A CLIPPER CREEK 30AMP , 240 VOLT WHICH I PURCHASED SEPARATELY. YOU DIDN'T READ WHAT I SAID!

YOU ARE A TROLL ANYWAY BYE! ENJOY YOUR MB.

Somehow MB just doesn't cut it for me, never has and probably never will, never even considered buying one. I considered a Bentley for a while but never sprung for one. I can afford whatever I want, just don't like the Tesla that much and certainly not the MB. Especially not the MB...

Your conduct here won't cause me any difficulty, but it might cause you some difficulty. It's ok to have some strange aversion to Mercedes Benz cars, but you need to review YOUR conduct on this forum, or you will be the one going "bye":

A Note on Moderation:

Posts are deleted or edited for:

1) Commercial advertising - please contact the "admin" for advertising rates

2) Religion - just not appropriate on a car forum

3) Politics - self explanatory

4) Sex - there are tons of sites to do this... but not here

5) Personal attacks and threats - debate the topic, not the person

6) Profanity - the usual bad words that you likely wouldn't say in front of your mother

7) Spamming - promoting a product, usually repeatedly

8) Flamming - making posts merely to upset or get a reaction

Posters who violate the guidelines above may be suspended from posting, banned from the forum, and/or blocked by IP address. This is very common for single post history users who post advertising in that very first post. Those users are banned immediately and blocked by IP.

Threads or posts may be locked when it appears to a moderator that it is hopelessly off topic, or heated debate, or for any of the above listed reasons.

In addition, moderation extends to keep continuity in threads. When a thread veers off topic, those user posts may be split off to another thread or merged with an existing threads.

New threads that are posted with similar topics to other existing thread(s) may be merged with existing threads.

If you have questions or concerns about the application of these guidelines, please contact any of the several moderators via the link at the bottom of the forum marked "The Team". Also, if you find a post or thread that violates these guidelines, please report them via the report icon.

We have enjoyed a very peaceful existence on this forum as a result of these enforced guidelines. Thank you for keeping things civil here.

You're right, according to car and driver, the MB will go 5 miles further. :D

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-bmw-i3-vs-2014-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-4

Sparky said:
You're right, according to car and driver, the MB will go 5 miles further. :D

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-bmw-i3-vs-2014-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-4

I haven't yet done a range test on the BMW i3, but it appears to be no better than 75 miles with the hybrid gasoline engine and 85 miles without.

Cars that I have tested under the same format of 62mph ground speed are as follows:

Range at 65mph (100km ground speed) on dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F, battery capacity is "useable" amount, not advertised amount. Ranges are at maximum available charge and EPA rating is the maximum published.

Nissan
LEAF - 4 miles per kWh (250 wattHours per mile) * 21.3kWh = 85.2 miles / EPA 84

GM / Chevrolet
Spark EV - 5 miles per kWh (200 wattHours per mile) * 19kWh = 95 miles / EPA 82

Mercedes
B-Class ED - 3.6*** miles per kWh (278 wattHours per mile) * 31.5kWh = 113 miles / EPA 104

Toyota
Rav4 EV - 3.4 miles per kWh (295 wattHours per mile) * 41.8kWh = 142 miles / EPA 113

Kia

Soul EV - 4 miles per kWh (250 wattHours per mile) * 27kWh = 108 miles / EPA 93

*** Mercedes does some goofy BS with the economy meter... it's calibrated "from the wall", so 3.6 miles per kWh will show 3.0 on the dash. The correction factor is 83.7%, or 1.2

http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-range-autonomy-demonstration-nets-100-miles/

TonyWilliams said:
I haven't yet done a range test on the BMW i3, but it appears to be no better than 75 miles with the hybrid gasoline engine and 85 miles without.
Are you planning to do so?

TonyWilliams said:
Cars that I have tested under the same format of 62mph ground speed are as follows:

Range at 65mph (100km ground speed) on dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F, battery capacity is "useable" amount, not advertised amount. Ranges are at maximum available charge and EPA rating is the maximum published.
Not sure about the REx, but the BEV will do 88 miles at 65mph on a route with mild hills, so it should be slightly better at 62mph especially on flat terrain. Range at 55mph on a similar route with hills is 105 miles.

Back