Preconditioning Problem - EVSE Cycles on and off continuousl

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lencap

I'm still trying to find ways to extend my cold weather range, and several suggestions include preconditioning the car before driving.

I have a Clipper Creek 40 Amp hard wired EVSE, professionally installed on a separate 40 amp circuit, as recommended by the manufacturer.

When I connect the EVSE to my i3, and have the i3 set to precondition the car, I set the car to precondition prior to my expected departure time the following morning. What seems to happen is that the EVSE begins charging the car immediately, and I can see the preconditioning light illuminated on the temperature gauge. The car seems to warm up as soon as the EVSE is connected.

Later in the cycle, after a full charge is reached, the car returns to preconditioning, but the EVSE only charges for a short period of time. Then there is a loud sound (like an electric circuit breaker going on and off) and the charging light turns on and off repeatedly. It seems as if the EVSE isn't able to deliver the power being called for. This only happens with the Clipper Creek in my home garage. When using a public charging station I don't have this issue.

I wonder if it's because of the higher charging rate associated with the 40 Amp Clipper Creek taking full advantage of the 7.2 K/Wh potential of the i3 versus the lower 6.6 K/Wh charging from public EVSE locations.

I'm concerned that I may be doing some damage (or the KLE is creating the problem - I've not had my car upgraded yet since BMW hasn't authorized that anything is "wrong" with the car) to the car, or the charging module, or my Clipper Creek. I also have a similar sound when I connect the EVSE to the car to begin the home charging station. That occurs when I connect the EVSE, or disconnect when it's still charging.

I'm scheduled to bring the car to the dealer in 2 weeks for a full checkup, but I don't want to cause any problems until then. I lowered the maximum charging rate to the default lower level for 240 charging until I can have the dealer inspect the car. Other than that I don't know what else to do. Range is still disappointing: 60-64 miles typically.

Any thoughts about what's causing the constant EVSE charge cycling, or any other things I can do to avoid any possibility of causing any damage? The EVSE works fine - fully charging the car, and there are no other symptoms or problems. Clipper Creek assures me that their charger is working properly, and the electrician also confirms that the installation was done exactly as stated by Clipper Creek.

Known issue, has been discussed at length on the Facebook group. Clipper Creek and BMW have both been made aware, but please contact them and request a fix.

FYI, this isn't unique to the CC unit - owners of the BMW (and other brand) EVSEs have mentioned similar behavior.

i3atl said:
Known issue, has been discussed at length on the Facebook group. Clipper Creek and BMW have both been made aware, but please contact them and request a fix.

FYI, this isn't unique to the CC unit - owners of the BMW (and other brand) EVSEs have mentioned similar behavior.

I habe this too... one morning I counted the relay in my charger chargemaster polar clink 8 times on pre conditioning. Also happens when I open the passenger door during immediate charging... clunk clunk.. clunk clunk
Clunk clunk...

noakey said:
I habe this too... one morning I counted the relay in my charger chargemaster polar clink 8 times on pre conditioning. Also happens when I open the passenger door during immediate charging... clunk clunk.. clunk clunk
Clunk clunk...

I have this during preconditioning too, the charger activates about 1.75 hours prior to the set departure time and then again about 45 mins and then again immediately prior to departure. That's when the car initiates and terminates charging rapidly in quick succession, kinda like topping off a fuel tank.

Bill

There is a video of this happening with the Clipper Creek on the facebook page and many comments that other people are having the same problem with other chargers.

I am wondering if this is happening to people who have had the KLE replaced already as I know there are some of you out there!

This is happening to me too in the UK, and I haven't had a KLE replacement yet, even though the car refuses to consistently charge at 7.4kw

I know this is new technology and all that, but what the hell was the Active E and Electronaut programme for?

This is bad news if we in the UK are affected aswell as the US. Could very well be an international i3 bug. I know how much BMW hates doing official recalls, (preferring instead "service updates", but can they really now afford not to initiate a general BMW i3 recall? If the car ends up putting an EVSE/ charger on fire or something, they'll have zero choice.

The EVSE is essentially a big switch, the clunk is a heavy duty relay (a switching device). The charging circuit is in the car. It really doesn't hurt the EVSE to turn on and off, and unless it detects a power fault, won't do it on its own...the car is in charge of its charging (pun intended!).

With any battery, as you top it off, you're applying a higher voltage than the battery will hold in order to have any EMF to push those electrons into the thing. By turning the power off, the car can monitor the amount of voltage drop shortly afterwards to assess how close to the desired level it really is. Now, I don't know for sure the i3's logic does this, but it is true for batteries in general, and, if so, could easily account for a few on/off cycles as it charges up near the end. The goal with preconditioning while attached to the EVSE, is to draw power from the grid, and not directly from the batteries. Course, everything runs off the batteries, so to keep them topped off, the charging circuit must run.

FWIW, I'm scheduled for a KLE replacement in a couple of weeks, but when cold, my EVSE is pumping out about its max, at just under 7Kw into my i3, at least at the beginning of the charging cycle. WHen things are hotter, the logic slows down the charging speed. It will be interesting to see if I can notice any changes once the update has been made.

Back