Questions about i3 Range extender and california tax rebate

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rozakk

Hi, I recently purchased an I3 range extender here in california(san francisco), and I've heard mixed information regarding whether this qualifies for the 2500 tax rebate. Dealer was clueless on this. I believe it's already been confirmed that it does NOT qualify for the hov white sticker, and the green stickers have already been exhausted.

- can someone clarify whether the cali $2500 tax rebate is valid for the range extender?
- Also, the $7500 federal tax credit is still in effect and is valid for the i3 range extender i hope?
- Any promising news on the HOV sticker status for california for the range extender in the future?
- Any word on if/when DC/SAE fast charging stations will be available in california? I haven't been able to find one and BMW dealers I called didn't know of any either (one guy told me to 'check with nissan' :? )

Thanks for the help!

Side note - been loving the car so far but my charging speed and mileage is definitely less than what I was told (and this is with very careful driving) - i'd say i get more like 60-70 miles on the highway before the gas kicks in(in eco pro mode).

I heard the new green HOV will be approved in the next few months. I receive my REX in California next month Does anyone know if the stickers will be issued retroactively after the law passes?

- can someone clarify whether the cali $2500 tax rebate is valid for the range extender?
All you need to know is on the website. https://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project

- Also, the $7500 federal tax credit is still in effect and is valid for the i3 range extender i hope?
Probably. Talk to your tax advisor.

- Any promising news on the HOV sticker status for california for the range extender in the future?
Again, check the applicable website. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

- Any word on if/when DC/SAE fast charging stations will be available in california? I haven't been able to find one and BMW dealers I called didn't know of any either (one guy told me to 'check with nissan' :? )
NRG has the first SAE CCS public station in San Diego. They've announced plans to add SAE CCS plugs to their existing network (new Whole Foods on Market St, for instance). One of their program managers told me the delay is hardware shortage. All new stations going forward will be built with three plugs (level 2, CHAdeMO and SAE CCS).

There has been talk in the Congress to up the tax rebate to $10K, but there is a list price cap, and the i3 is above that cap...the $7500 is still available. Note, though, that it is not retroactive and cannot be used as a carryover to next year if you do not have the full $7500 tax liability. IOW, if you don't owe at least that $7500, you can only credit the amount of tax you owe, not $7500. For many people that can afford an i3, that shouldn't be an issue, but then, it could, depending on your circumstances.

In the original bill authorizing this, there was a max number of vehicles that it could be applied to, but if that doesn't change, BMW will still have enough 'slots' for awhile yet.

I have an i3 REX and got my $2500 back from the state, also the county I live in has a clean air act and that netted me a further $3k back plus the Fed $7500.

Stuart

Greatwhite said:
I have an i3 REX and got my $2500 back from the state, also the county I live in has a clean air act and that netted me a further $3k back plus the Fed $7500.

Stuart
What county?

San Joaquin county is offering $3k rebates for the i3Rex or Bev, you have to agree to retain the car for 36 months or return part of the rebate pro rated and also fill out 3 annual reports one a year on mileage driven. Worth the hassle for the extra dollars :)

Back