Rain and weather

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benkor

I do not have a garage in which to park at i3. Can I put the plug in to charge the car in the rain? If it is raining when I want to use the car is there any danger in unpluging the car?

BMW's official photo shows outdoor charging station

http://www.bmw.com/_common/shared/newvehicles/i/i3/2013/showroom/charging/home-charging-01.jpg

I guess you just have to make sure the one that you use is designed for indoor AND outdoor.

The car charging bay is perfectly safe under heavy rain.

The weak point could be your domestic wall plug; just be sure that it is designed for outside use. If your are charging from a charger, it should have been installed by a professional electrician so you should not worry.

The i Charging Station manual says it is designed for charging an electric vehicle indoors or outdoors with a shelter. The picture linked in a previous post shows an overhang shelter.
There is no mention of a NEMA rating in the manual.

The EVSE units have built-in ground fault, and if you're using the one that comes with the car, it would likely also have a GFCI supplying the plug in the wall...the electronics box is waterproof, but I wouldn't let it sit in a deep puddle. IOW, the power would shut off before you got hurt. If you have an external 120vac receptacle, if you do not have a wet, in-use cover, swap it for one.

Also, when you press the release button, the EVSE disconnects the high voltage, and there's only a low-voltage signaling still connected.

Had the i Charging station apart today for final inspection. Snapped a pic of the label confirming it is designed as a type 3 enclosure. Per NEMA:
Types 3, 3S, 3X :
Weather-resistant. Protects against weather hazards such as rain and sleet; used outdoors on ship docks, in construction work, and in tunnels and subways. 3X includes corrosions.

BMW suggests a shelter for outdoor use. Maybe a bit over-cautious. If it had the full NEMA 4 rating (watertight), it would be fine out in direct rain.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8XoNzUZsGfINVJlSFVWcWI2Zms/edit?usp=sharing

canuckjc said:
Had the i Charging station apart today for final inspection. Snapped a pic of the label confirming it is designed as a type 3 enclosure. Per NEMA:
Types 3, 3S, 3X :
Weather-resistant. Protects against weather hazards such as rain and sleet; used outdoors on ship docks, in construction work, and in tunnels and subways. 3X includes corrosions.

BMW suggests a shelter for outdoor use. Maybe a bit over-cautious. If it had the full NEMA 4 rating (watertight), it would be fine out in direct rain.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8XoNzUZsGfINVJlSFVWcWI2Zms/edit?usp=sharing

Cripple creek has EVSE's that are NEMA 4 and for about 1/2 the price for 32 amp 240 volt units compared to the BMW unit.

mindmachine said:
Cripple creek has EVSE's that are NEMA 4 and for about 1/2 the price for 32 amp 240 volt units compared to the BMW unit.

Glad to see you referencing an historic Colorado mining town but I think you mean Clipper Creek :D

I have the BMW charging unit installed on an outside wall (albeit under a large eaves overhang) and it has worked fine in mega-rain or boiling sun (well relatively boiling obviously as this is the UK). I've even had a gutter overflowing directly onto the car connection while it's charging, with no problems. That last thing wasn't deliberate by the way :lol:

Back