Refinished my Tera Eucalyptus wood today.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAirman

I not a fan of a wood that is matte, and my eucalyptus trim was feeling pretty rough to the touch, so I decided to refinish it.

The small piece and the glove box piece pop off fairly easy, and I watched a couple youtube videos on how to manipulate the center part from under the display. Then I gave all the parts a quick sanding with 200 grit sandpaper and blew off the dust with compressed air. Avoid use water because the trim is somewhat porous.

I gave it about 4 coats of semi gloss polyurethane I got at the home store. I like the way it came out, and it even make the the accent light reflect and pop a little more at night, especially if you use the orange color.
IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

Very pretty! Does it reflect on the inside of the windshield? How about the little piece on the far left of the dash - did you do it as well?

John Francis
Rolla, MO

Very pretty! Does it reflect on the inside of the windshield? How about the little piece on the far left of the dash - did you do it as well?

John Francis
Rolla, MO
No it doesn't reflect. But that's what I thought about when I was doing it, and the reason I picked semi-gloss over a gloss poly. It does make the orange ambient light reflect and pop a little more though.

I did the little piece on the left also. It just pops right out.

John Francis
Rolla, MO
Sorry for the late reply. Yes I did the little piece, in fact, it was the test piece before I took on the bigger ones. I don't notice any reflection on the glass either.

Looks great. I will never do it though due to the increased glare. Considering going with a very dark stain on mine.

I agree, it does look good. However to my mind, why not use a quality cabinet maker's polish, such as Goddard's? (now owned by SC Johnson). I think it would have the same effect, with much less hassle

Back