Remote charging initiation with app

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunter

Hi all

I may be missing something but the charging options available in the car are either charge immediately or charge on an off peak tariff with that defined by a time window. How do I (or possibly can I) initiate charging remotely using the app?

As ever any help will be greatly appreciated.

Not actually tried it... but the iPhone app says:

"To start charging immediately, deactivate the function "Low cost charging" in the settings."

So hit the cog in the top right and there is a slider to turn Low cost charging on/off.

Hopefully that should do it - will try later.

fenlander said:
Not actually tried it... but the iPhone app says:

"To start charging immediately, deactivate the function "Low cost charging" in the settings."

So hit the cog in the top right and there is a slider to turn Low cost charging on/off.

Hopefully that should do it - will try later.

Thanks but charge immediately is the car's terminology for charge as soon as I plug it in. The only other car option seems to be a timed charge.

Anyone got this working?

Arh think the penny has dropped. If you don't want immediate charging then you set to charge at off peak tariff rate and set a minute long window. Then you alter the window with the app to include the current time and charging should start or switch the app to tell the car to charge immediately. Unfortunately I think I've just confirmed that there is not enough phone signal at my house for the car to do this :( .

Why didn't they fit wifi capability :roll:

Bill

EDIT - It seems I do have enough signal here, I can alter the car tariff periods and departure times from the app...it's just I know the car is ignoring the settings because I can see the power draw. Further investigation needed.

Finally I think I have it figured out.

If you want remote control of i3 charging through the app, the off peak tariff time must be between the current time and the departure time. If it isn't the i3 defaults to charge immediately regardless of whether it is set to immediate charging or off peak charging.

Apologies if this is stunningly obvious but it didn't click for me from the manual and so I though others might be struggling.

Not sure I get what you're saying, but my car's set to not charge at peak times 4-8pm, so it doesn't charge then no matter when I plug it in, before or during the peak period. If I want to overrule that though, I can do it in car when I leave the car, or through the iphone. Not sure what else you'd want it to do... :?:

AndyW said:
Not sure I get what you're saying, but my car's set to not charge at peak times 4-8pm, so it doesn't charge then no matter when I plug it in, before or during the peak period. If I want to overrule that though, I can do it in car when I leave the car, or through the iphone. Not sure what else you'd want it to do... :?:

What I found was this. If I set the off peak time to 12:00 to 12:01, that should have given me complete control to switch charging on and off from my phone by switching between charge immediately and charge off peak (unless it was 12:00:xx). But it didn't, when I plugged the car in with these settings and an 08:30 departure time the car would draw a charge regardless of setting.

If I set the off peak time to 00:00 to 00:01, then switching between charge immediately and charge off peak does what it is suppose to.

I can know what the car is doing by watching energy usage monitors.

The reason for exploring this is so I can ride to work when it's nice in the summer and when our panels are making enough (which I can monitor remotely) I can switch on charging.

Bill

Back