Repetitive unlocking

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E46toi3

Has anyone else seen this? I searched and maybe it's caused by having the key in my pocket but it seems weird.

When I get in the car and before I push start, the door randomly keeps trying to unlock over and over. If I lock it, it unlocks. It seems random but it's unnerving to my wife who likes to lock the door immediately on entry for personal safety.

I checked and its not like the button is stuck down or pressed in my pocket.

Hi,
have you double checked that all the doors and the boot are firmly closed ?
I had this happen to me once, when I accidentaly left the boot unlatched.
Regards, Steven

E46toi3 said:
Has anyone else seen this? I searched and maybe it's caused by having the key in my pocket but it seems weird.

When I get in the car and before I push start, the door randomly keeps trying to unlock over and over. If I lock it, it unlocks. It seems random but it's unnerving to my wife who likes to lock the door immediately on entry for personal safety.

I checked and its not like the button is stuck down or pressed in my pocket.

This happened to me a couple of times. I had my ChargeNow RFID card on my key chain with my fob and sometimes it would be in front of the FOB and act like a lever against the unlock button. Really freaked me out the first time because it was right after I had the windows tinted. My first thought was that the auto detailer had got something wet that really didn't like it. :lol:

Most other BMW FOBs have the buttons more centered in the device...the unlock on the i3's fob is right up to the edge of the thing. As a result, that edge can get pressed more easily than if it were in the middle of the FOB. I ended up buying a FOB key cover and installed it backwards on my FOB, and I stopped finding the car unlocked and sometimes with the windows partly down. With comfort access, I almost never need to press a button anyways. The hole in it does not align with the keyring slot (I guess, I could cut another one), so when I need to drop it off for service, I either have to flip it around or take the cover with me.

The only other thing I've noticed is if I have my other BMW fob in the same pocket as the i3's...the i3 won't respond, either open the door or start...I have to put them in separate pockets! The other BMW seems to work just fine with both of them in the same pocket, though. Not sure why they interfere in that manner. I guess you might need a frequency spectrum analyzer to see what's going on, and I don't happen to have one in my back pocket.

I've inadvertently activated key fob buttons from my pocket with both my i3 and e90. Also did it with my two previous VWs. So it's not a condition unique to BMW in general or the i3 in particular.

Back