Right Hand Drive i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker

I know this only affects

1. Anguilla
2. Antigua and Barbuda
3. Australia
4. Bahamas
5. Bangladesh
6. Barbados
7. Bermuda
8. Bhutan
9. Botswana
10. Brunei
11. Cayman Islands
12. Christmas Island (Australia)
13. Cook Islands
14. Cyprus
15. Dominica
16. East Timor
17. Falkland Islands
18. Fiji
19. Grenada
20. Guernsey (Channel Islands)
21. Guyana
22. Hong Kong
23. India
24. Indonesia
25. Ireland
26. Isle of Man
27. Jamaica
28. Japan
29. Jersey (Channel Islands)
30. Kenya
31. Kiribati
32. Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australia)
33. Lesotho
34. Macau
35. Malawi
36. Malaysia
37. Maldives
38. Malta
39. Mauritius
40. Montserrat
41. Mozambique
42. Namibia
43. Nauru
44. Nepal
45. New Zealand
46. Niue
47. Norfolk Island (Australia)
48. Pakistan
49. Papua New Guinea
50. Pitcairn Islands (Britain)
51. Saint Helena
52. Saint Kitts and Nevis
53. Saint Lucia
54. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
55. Seychelles
56. Singapore
57. Solomon Islands
58. South Africa
59. Sri Lanka
60. Suriname
61. Swaziland
62. Tanzania
63. Thailand
64. Tokelau (New Zealand)
65. Tonga
66. Trinidad and Tobago
67. Turks and Caicos Islands
68. Tuvalu
69. Uganda
70. United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)
71. Virgin Islands (British)
72. Virgin Islands (US)
73. Zambia
74. Zimbabwe

But really of all cars Electric cars should be THE easiest to convert from LHD to RHD...... yet unless I mistaken the central area of the dashboard is STILL set up for LHD ie the On / off switch is by the passenger and the temp display is also pointing at the passenger .... it also looks as if the windscreen wipers are also STILL set up for LHD too.

BMW please give us a break.

The reason the UK doesn't do personal collection from Germany is because we buy so many BMW's in the UK the customer collection centre would be overwhelmed (the BMW 3 Series has been in the UK 10 ten best sellers for about 10 years!) yet still they still think its OK for us to peer though un-swept windscreens - lean over to see readouts. None of the Japanese manufactures do this and there cars sell for a lot less than BMW's do.

At the launch I was assured the cars were FULLY RHD converted.

Lets hope this just a pre production car...... I fear not.

9580825259_a2b1578646_o.jpg

We've toured two BMW plants, North Carolina and Oxford. Other BMWs are better converted.

The one gripe I have about a few RHD BMWs is the pedal box. There isn't always enough room between the clutch pedal and the tunnel. i3 won't have that problem. RHD Z4s don't get a passenger cup holder, but that is a minor niggle. (The Z4 interior is not symmetrical so the RHD version is very different.)

Real production RHD i3s production should be starting in a few weeks. Hopefully they will have the final cars correctly converted.

There really is no excuse for the i3.

If you look at the "Life Module" its completely asymmetrical, holes in the shell for the LHD and RHD steering column, pedals etc are all equidistant from the centre. There is no engine / aircon unit fouling the repositioning of the windscreen motors, heck they reposition the cheaper Mini's wipers for goodness sake.
No, its just cost cutting and knowing they will get away with it because the great old British public won't complain about it.

So, the center dash actually points away from the driver ? LOL. How do they get away with it ?

I've seen a few pictures of right hand drive interiors and unfortunately the center display is exactly the same as it is for left hand drive cars. I find it hard to believe they would not have it changed now if they did intend to change it at all.

evnow said:
So, the center dash actually points away from the driver ? LOL. How do they get away with it ?

The UK market for BMW is half the size of the whole USA ..... yet because UK consumers aren't very demanding they feel they can get aware with it. TBH its the windscreen wipers that really annoy me because its a safety issue. In all LHD cases the drivers screen get priority ... the passenger side is just cleared. So for the RHD market the driver has less screen cleared and is usually looking through drips and spray I'm surprised it passes safety legislation..... that was the main reason I sold my last BMW 5 series and haven't bought a BMW since.
Its laziness and lack of forethought... and poor design. I'm no industrial designer but even I could come up with an interchangeable design.

TomMoloughney said:
I've seen a few pictures of right hand drive interiors and unfortunately the center display is exactly the same as it is for left hand drive cars. I find it hard to believe they would not have it changed now if they did intend to change it at all.

Very disappointing.

Do you have any more RHD photos?

evnow said:

I think they're just saying the on/off button & the circular temp display are both on the left-hand end of the dash. They don't actually point away from a right-hand driver though, surely?

Back