Rolling stops / Taking EV efficiency as far as you can.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodHam

First, I love my i3 and I don't think I could ever go back to driving an ICE for my regular commutes.

I leave early in the morning and use the back roads for my 16 km commute instead of the highway with its dedicated EV/Bus/Taxi lane. The backroads offer hills and a multitude of stop signs giving me a chance to hone my battery conservation skills, which oddly enough includes illegal rolling stops which seem to be so natural in the i3 for best conservation. I can't bring myself to completely stop at a stop sign when I can creep, maintaining forward motion thereby saving a lot of energy needed to start the car rolling. The one pedal control is so accurate as to allow an unperceivable rolling stop that I've pulled it off in front of a LE vehicle parked 90 degrees to my motion.

I know the reasons for complete stops but the i3 can spend almost the same amount of time before and during crossing the white stop line as an ICE vehicle would doing a complete stop and accelerating across the stop line. I'm almost tempted to test the concept in front of a judge if demerit points weren't also involved in this moving infraction.

Anyone else out there breaking the law in an i3?

I also have learned to how to stop at a stop sign, almost. I remember the physic rule...a body in motion tends to stay in motion, a body at rest tends to stay at rest. By feathering the accelerator pedal I arrive at the stop sign going about 2-3 mph, a speed so slow it appears to be a full stop. I do have one exception to doing this; if there is cross traffic approaching the intersection at the same time I come to a complete stop.

How much difference does this make? Very little, but adding it to other range increasing techniques does add up.

Back