Safe 12V sources to tap for audio system

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electronchaser

In ref to a 2019 120ah bev i3.

I know the 12v (20ah) is riding up front. Is there any other junction I can take some 12V from to power two amps? Of course I'll be responsible and fuse it.

How much output does the dc-dc converter provide to top off the 12v. If I have the vehicle in READY mode, I should be able to bump the stereo at the energy expense of the HV battery pack, instead of taking it from the 12v. (via the dc-dc)

Looking to power a 400watt and a 600-1000watt amp for a little beast of a subwoofer.

THX!

ideally, I'd like to build and use a separate 12V lifepo4 battery up in the frunk powering the audio equipment, and charged up as needed.

Something like this.

youtube]5IPnQieycyA

would it be feasible to feed the audio system from this as its only power source, use for a few hours while driving, drain battery , recharge, repeat.

excerpt from website:

GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST! FINALLY BACK IN STOCK, I GET ASKED EVERY DAY ABOUT THESE. LAST TIME THESE SOLD OUT IN 2 WEEKS. PERFECT FOR COMPETITION AUDIO SYSTEMS.

SCREWS INCLUDED WHICH MAKES CONNECTING THESE TOGETHER SUPER EASY. JUST NEED BUSBARS.

LOOKING FOR A CRAZY AMOUNT OF POWER? LOOK NO FURTHER! THESE MAKE THE ULTIMATE 12V BATTERY TOO, JUST CONNECT 4 OF THESE IN SERIES. 200A RATED... FOR REAL.

Great question and research, I like your considered approach!

I do not have anything to add here, but I am also interested in this. Btw, your YouTube link is malformed, I think it meant to be [youtube] ?

electronchaser said:
derekgates said:
Great question and research, I like your considered approach!

I do not have anything to add here, but I am also interested in this. Btw, your YouTube link is malformed, I think it meant to be [youtube] ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPnQieycyA

Thanks for pointing out the broken link.

What an interesting freaking idea. I used to install Optima Yellow Tops in my cars for audio... this blows that out of the water!

A consideration for me, for sure. Thank you!

For my recent amp install, I pulled directly off the rear electric motor DC-DC converter. Proximity to the back seat made it super easy to run power+ground. I used two of the top bolt holes to the run 8-10 AWG through and then under the carpet and around/down under the back seat. I've seen others run all the way from the front 12v battery which seems inefficient after realizing how accessible the rear power is.

Latest posts

Back