Sharing charging points…..

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettig

We need to think different about charging.
Most people have to use public charging: expensive. Free charging….. like Tesla…..it will end (you pay for it anyhow).
Electric cars are the future, but will be expensive as petrol if we have to use public charging (like most people). Government has to get tax income…..

Why not have a system to share stations (we already do it). Not for everyone but for your own group (friends, business partners, etc …) and charge them (or not) the real cost…. Way cheaper then public charging.

We have enough capacity to charge more cars fast (we just need a few hours a day to charge four cars), newer cars will be able to charge way faster. So even more cars can be charged on less stations.

People will not abuse the system. the social system will prevent it, all people in the group are connected in real life in some kind of way, so will self-correct and we could just block a card (still our system). You could start connecting groups……

Works fine locally. One of my friends cannot charge at home or his office (only nearby public), he uses ours. Our neighbor has no driveway, parks at our driveway, charges and parks it on the street again (just a few hours). We just added the cards and automatically send an invoice (they save 60-80%).

If a car is full, just stop charging. Four cars can be charged without moving them on ONE station. Longer cables do help, same plug at the car. I bought an adapter (so I can use a type 1 cable on my type 2 car).

Most charging stations with RFID still use the out-dated principle: connected car is the car that OWNS the station. NO we OWN it and we have multiple cars and WE want to decide how the stations behaves.

That’s something that NEEDS to change…… already had several discussions with our provider (thenewmotion)……I can stop charging and disconnect any station via their portal just not via the app or any allowed card……stupid, it is OUR system. Would make sharing a lot easier.

If they do not do this we will just start decoupling technologies: basic charging points and separate RFID systems to switch on/off the stations…….solved (cost will be almost the same). We do not like cars that use “proprietary” charging systems (lock-in and not future proof), Just 3 phase AC to the car, what they do inside the car is up to them.

Shell bought thenewmotion, Shell will use Allego for fast charging at traditional stations. Shell sells energy. You will see a lot of traditional oil companies making investment in the near future in this market.

Petrol companies in general: they want to make sure you keep buying charges from them at the same price as petrol.

So let’s create or own charging groups that people can use. You can start already and keep telling your provider to CHANGE their system or decouple the technology (charging and access).

prettig said:
We need to think different about charging.
Most people have to use public charging: expensive. . . .
I live in Huntsville AL:
  • 2/3 of charging happens at home - $0.10/kWh
  • 2/3 of charging at free chargers - $0.00/kWh
We have only two payment chargers in Huntsville and they are in an isolated area apart from restaurants, grocery stores, or ordinary services. Guess how much they are used?

It probably makes sense to use Plugshare centered around your residence. Then we can understand what makes sense.

Bob Wilson

Plugshare ... jus another app.

You need like 4 app's to find all stations in your area, most are NOT up-to-date, never show you the REAL cost or REAL charging capacity (used one at a mall yesterday... 10 cars charging and they load balance the capacity... slower then a wall plug !).
Filter on fast chargers..... wow, like 1% left !

Have your own goups that can be connected: up-to-date and real cost (my friends can always charge fast at max. capacity and low cost).
Just hope, more people start doing this or we get ONE way better app for all that allows you to setup your own groups.

Back