Small car on grand tour

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevei3

Hi guys,

I have to keep it short for now, but we're just back from our roundtrip from Holland through Germany, a little bit of France and Switzerland. 1780 km (1100 mi). Most of it completely electric: as planned the whole route to Zürich & surroundings completely electric: 1050 km (652 mi) with some heavy Rex-ing on the way back. Total: 6 days, 16 x charge (14 abroad) and 4 x fuel stop on the last day before reaching home again.
Perhaps you've read my piece on Tom's blog, so it is possible that you already know I love the car, but I love it even more now, after six weeks and, in total, nearly 6000 km (3728 mi). It has its foibles, but it is such a nice little car…

More later, Steven

Sounds excellent. Looking forward to the full story!

Slightly perversely, I enjoy the limitations of EVs. Trips need to be planned, you have to adapt your driving style according to weather, conditions and distance. In extremis and seeking the last heating-less mile, gloves may even be in order! It's as I imagine a road trip at the dawn of motoring. Adventure and challenge on a 100 mile journey!

Hi Sanserif,

yes, it was like a good old treasure hunt at times, especially to actualy find the chargepoints that should *be* there. And it was Europe revisited like our parents did, with their 2cv. Slow tourism :) Involvement & commitment required ;)

Steven

Excellent Steven! I've been waiting to hear how the trip went. Looks like to passed through some of the places I visited a few weeks back. I didn't see any i3's there but I did stop and chat with a ZOE owner for a while. Can't wait to hear about this adventure - I haven't heard of anyone doing such a long trip in an i3 yet!

Cheers!

yes, the 2CV holidays, those were the days, too bad the i3 doens't come with a detachable roof :)

There and back again, Switzerland....

Amongst US delivery and engine light pandemonium, the miraculously diminishing fueltank and renewed REx discussions, a little blib from over here. Europe calling ...

Due to an unforseen opportunity, I had the pleasure of driving our i3 to Switzerland yet again, this time Geneva ;)
With hardly any time for planning, just about enough to arrange some overnight accomodations with charging facilities (ie. a wall socket :) ), it was RExing all the way there through Belgium, Luxemburg and France, and RExing all the way back through Germany, both leg ca. 850 km (525 mi), both driven on one day each.
I was fortunate to have a little time to spare after the occasion, so I took our i3 for a little three day electric spin over some more serious mountain passes than last time... One word comes to mind: 'like'...

More later if anyone is interested. A little hint beforehand: no real trubbles popped up in these six days, 2089 km (1290 mi) .

Regards, Steven

Back