So good i'm thinking of leasing a second i3...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly10

So having leased the i3 rex for the missus I'm now thinking of selling the gas guzzling Mazda and leasing a second i3. I've not really driven the i3 much since it arrived but when I have I've really liked it. Its only been these last 2 days were I've been able to use the i3 for my daily commute that its really started to make sense. 45 mile round trip and its a joy, my average speed over the commute is 35 mph and 4.2mi/kWh and works out 10 times cheaper to run than the Mazda. Overall though over the 2 years it would work out around the same as I own the Mazda and only pay for fuel, tax and insurance but I've not included maintenance or servicing on the Mazda so in reality over the 2 years the i3 would actually work out cheaper over the 24 months as its on a just add fuel basis. I'd also have the £5k cash on the sale of the ICE for a couple of nice holidays or even a track only car for thrills.

There's a part of me thinking though...wait! as I know in the next couple of years there'll be even better ev's around, really don't know, thoughts?

Would you go for another REx or BEV? if the latter then there is a hinted Battery enhancement with 10 - 20% more range for 2016 MY, which might just sway your timing little bit, but Current year German i3's are now being discounted.

As you already have a REx, a BEV will do as a second car. Which comes at a lower price and ist even more efficient due to the lower weight.

Frank

PluviaPlumbum said:
Would you go for another REx or BEV? if the latter then there is a hinted Battery enhancement with 10 - 20% more range for 2016 MY, which might just sway your timing little bit, but Current year German i3's are now being discounted.

Was thinking Rex but if the MY16 will go further then it would have to be a BEV and she can use that as her daily commute is only 30 miles max. :D

Have also been considering the B-class BEV as its the same price but doesn't stand out :?:

Still unconfirmed speculation, but we expect MY 2016 to get a battery with 56.7% more capacity. And BEV has an extra 6% more range because of lower weight. So 2016 BEV could have 66% more electric range than 2015 REx, which for me would mean to buy a BEV next time instead of a REx.

Frank

If you would only use your current ReX for longer journeys then buy a good second hand BEV (without CCS) and use it just for local journeys. With new technology waiting for the next generation is an endless task.

That's what I did and very happy. After 16k miles on both cars, the money we've saved from gas (even with the cheap gas here in US) covers the BEV lease.

IMHO, an i3 without CCS capability will take a hit on resale, especially in areas that have at least some coverage with them, regardless of whether it is a BEV or a REx. Swapping plugs to get them both recharged overnight might be a pain, and you may not have enough power available to install a second EVSE, so that's a consideration. When it's cold, you can't warm the battery unless it is attached, to gain the extra range.

Back