Solar panel on the roof

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said, even if it is only 1/4 of what they claim, that is still ten miles a day parked in the sun... not a gimmick, but just one of the many unique features of the vehicle. I don't expect their advertised numbers to be accurate (anymore than any other advertising), except perhaps under some ideal condition where you have no shade, the longest day of the year, near the equator etc. Of course... many people do not have the space, or are even allowed to put up solar panels.... or even charging infrastructure, for that matter. You too seem to have ignored the part about the efficiency of the Aptera... solar would definitely do something for range.... unlike all other current vehicles.. it is, by far the lowest coefficient of drag of any production vehicle.... that is the only reason solar makes sense. All other vehicles spend enormous amounts of energy just pushing air out of the way.. and this gets worse the faster you go.
I haven't ignored anything, I have a differing opinion.

I haven't ignored anything, I have a differing opinion.
Aptera is said to have 34 square feet of solar panels which is about right for 700 watts. You have indeed ignored the stated efficiency of the vehicle so as to dismiss the solar harvest being of any use... as if it were like any other car.. cars which would indeed not see much use for solar panels. Here is a link about their solar panel production if you are interested: https://electrek.co/2022/10/04/apte...tion-for-solar-evs-that-never-need-to-charge/

It's not just low coefficient of drag. Aptera has a much smaller frontal area, lighter weight, one less wheel, hub drive motors, and therefore reduced frictional loses. So 10 theoretical miles gained in the Aptera may be the equivalent of only 5 miles in the most efficient Tesla – although the Tesla would have more surface area to supply solar panels to.

It's difficult to offer a comparison to a vehicle that isn't out yet. But even if Aptera is successful, it's hard for me to image that a great number of car buyers will accept its form factor
It does not need a great number of buyers... only 6,000 per year to start seeing a profit and they have over 47,000 reservations so far... once they are on the road, they will get plenty of interest as a completely unique vehicle. It does not have to appeal to a mass audience, and does not have to make millions of vehicles just to break even. It could do just fine as a limited production, perceived oddity, and weird concept... there is plenty of enthusiasm generated for this vehicle, and lots of small investors... no wall street pirates are required... one of the many unique and interesting attributes of Aptera. I hope they make it.

That wasn't my point.

The Aptera's unusual form factor is in theory largely responsible for its excellent efficiency, which in turn may make integrated solar panels a worthwhile endeavor.

But I'm not sure we'll ever get a similar benefit out of solar panels integrated to a more traditional vehicle that has lower efficiency.

Time will tell.

That wasn't my point.

The Aptera's unusual form factor is in theory largely responsible for its excellent efficiency, which in turn may make integrated solar panels a worthwhile endeavor.

But I'm not sure we'll ever get a similar benefit out of solar panels integrated to a more traditional vehicle that has lower efficiency.

Time will tell.
I believe Tesla would have to cover their rear window with solar to come anywhere near close to the square footage available on the Aptera... which covers not only the dash, roof, and hood, but the entire rear hatch.. a stretched out and fairly large area on the car. Thanks for not ignoring the efficiencies of the Aptera's weight and shape. My only area of concern is that I have become addicted to the tight turning radius of the i3 and I doubt the Aptera will be similar in that regard... but acceleration will be noticeably quicker : )

I ordered my Aptera in July 2022. It will replace my i3 when I get it.
That's been an incredible multiyear birthing process. I'm amazed that Aptera hasn't gone bankrupt yet considering how many years the Aptera has been in development. Do they have any income? I don't know whether to believe that many potential buyers will actually end up with an Aptera. We'll see…

That's been an incredible multiyear birthing process. I'm amazed that Aptera hasn't gone bankrupt yet considering how many years the Aptera has been in development. Do they have any income? I don't know whether to believe that many potential buyers will actually end up with an Aptera. We'll see…
The original owners of Aptera were kind of forced out when the company existed in the past. They bought the rights back and started up again with a new and updated design that is miles beyond the old one, and have kept control of their company this time.... not at all the same thing as being in continuing development for well over a decade as you seem to suggest here. The re-started the new effort about the time COVID hit and still have made some excellent progress. It is an interesting business model. I hope they succeed.

Back