Spam

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agj

Though most flattering, the interest from british kitchen manufacturers for the i3 is tiresome, isn't it? ;)

Does this forum platform have the possibility to add a captcha test or something in the registration process in order to prevent bots from spamming us?

If not, no worries : I may be interested in a new kitchen. Some day. :?

agj said:
Though most flattering, the interest from british kitchen manufacturers for the i3 is tiresome, isn't it? ;)

Does this forum platform have the possibility to add a captcha test or something in the registration process in order to prevent bots from spamming us?

I've deleted the spam and banned the users. This is an issue in all forums, it's not just bots either. If you report the post by tagging the red ! in the bottom right of the post we will make sure it gets deleted promptly!

Thank you!

AnonymousJohn said:
The f*****s won't give up, will they?

I know! How many more kitchens do I need to order to make them go away! I'm running out of space. But the new sink and cooker go very well in the sitting room.

There is a captcha, and even a special 'question' to try and foil bots.

But, as Tom said, it appears to be human generated, and they are all coming from unique IP addresses (and have now been banned).

admin said:
There is a captcha, and even a special 'question' to try and foil bots.

But, as Tom said, it appears to be human generated, and they are all coming from unique IP addresses (and have now been banned).

Here is a screenshot of page 24 of the members list, without names:

members.jpg

A couple of things to note:

1. The number of new members per day is relatively low.
2. Every member with a www link is a link to a kitchen site.
3. Apart from the deleted kitchen posts, new members make very few posts.

It would be a small inconvenience to make first posts automatically moderated. This would completely stop the spam from reaching the forum and the spammers would stop trying and move on to the next unprotected forum.

Just my 2c.

Good idea. For the record though, all of those members you see there with www links have been banned and are listed on the banned list for the group. I don't know why they are still listed there as I banned then days ago. They can't post anymore, but we should have their named removed which is how it has worked previously when I banned people.

A bit of research on the web suggests they are cowboys as well as spammers, and have been at it for some time.
There's one suggested way of dealing with them here.

It seems that someone has managed to get their website shut down.
This is Google's cache of http://www.exdisplaykitchens1.co.uk. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 15 Mar 2014 09:23:17 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime

Over the weekend we tested some anti-spam software on one of our other forums, and it worked so well we are pushing it out to all of our forums this week.

Some of you may have noticed that the site was unavailable for about 15 seconds around 12:15 PST today. :D

This forum now has advanced spam protection, and that should be the end of SanSerif's renovations!

Admin? said:
Good idea. For the record though, all of those members you see there with www links have been banned and are listed on the banned list for the group. I don't know why they are still listed there as I banned then days ago. They can't post anymore, but we should have their named removed which is how it has worked previously when I banned people.

As I understand it, the members list is a dump of the users table in the db. I think you would have to delete them to remove them from the users table or mod the memberlist.php to blank out banned users. The members list doesn't normally identify that they are banned.

All a bit irrelevant if the spammer software is blocking them, but I was just pointing out that there are metrics that could be employed to minimise the hassle of dealing with spammers.

TomMoloughney said:
agj said:

I've deleted the spam and banned the users. This is an issue in all forums, it's not just bots either. If you report the post by tagging the red ! in the bottom right of the post we will make sure it gets deleted promptly!

Thank you!

For what it's worth, this is the least spam-infected and the most polite, collegial, and constructive forum I have ever participated in. Hats off to Tom for his leadership and to all the participants for their decorum.

tiburonh said:
For what it's worth, this is the least spam-infected and the most polite, collegial, and constructive forum I have ever participated in. Hats off to Tom for his leadership and to all the participants for their decorum.

Thanks, it is actually "work" even though it may not seem like it ;)

And thanks to the members for keeping things cordial here. I have only had a couple instances where I had to ask members to be less confrontational. We have a nice group of EV enthusiasts here, good going everyone!

Back