Special notice about "correct parking procedure"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buskraut

IMG_0086.jpg

Finally picked up my i3 BEV this week... What an awesome machine.

Hopefully the linked image is visible. I found this notice buried in the paperwork that came with the car. It certainly raises the question: what are they really try to tell me?

There are items in red that imply they are critical, or at least somehow new.

Why would the lights need to be switched to "0"? Does this mean they should not be left on the automatic setting?

Why is it so critical that the stop/start button be pressed? If you get out and lock the car it seems to shut off the car as well.

I really wish bmw would tell us the point of this notice, because on the surface it seems like they are trying to force a specific shutdown procedure to work around a bug of some kind.

Well that's just odd.

When I stop, I hit the Stop/Start button, and that's it. That puts the car in park and engaged the parking break automatically. When I walk away and lock the car, all interior lights and parking lights go out.

arlorose said:
Well that's just odd.

When I stop, I hit the Stop/Start button, and that's it. That puts the car in park and engaged the parking break automatically. When I walk away and lock the car, all interior lights and parking lights go out.

Yep, that's what I've been doing until I found this little note, and life seemed fine. The note makes it seem like the world will end if your don't follow their exact sequence.

Tom, any chance you can get the inside scoop on this? I'd love to know what problem BMW is trying to solve.

arlorose said:
Well that's just odd.

You sure it engages the parking brake when you hit stop/start? Mine doesn't, so maybe country dependent.

Bill

Bunter said:
You sure it engages the parking brake when you hit stop/start? Mine doesn't, so maybe country dependent.
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure, but I hear the exact sound of it, then the car locks into place becoming immobile. If it's not the parking break, it's some other lock-down mode.

Is it possible this is part of the shipping instructions intended for personnel at the port?
I found the same sheet in my car, along with pre-delivery instructions obviously not intended for me.

The car (at least mine) does not engage the parking brake, but does engage a lock in the drivetrain, similar to what happens in any automatic transmission vehicle. But, if you're parked on a hill, it will roll a short distance, and actually using the parking brake is a good idea.

arlorose said:
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure, but I hear the exact sound of it, then the car locks into place becoming immobile. If it's not the parking break, it's some other lock-down mode.

That will be the car engaging the park gear which as you say does immobilise the vehicle, a bit like leaving a car in gear. But I think you'll find the parking brake is not engaged.

Bill

canuckjc said:
Is it possible this is part of the shipping instructions intended for personnel at the port?
I found the same sheet in my car, along with pre-delivery instructions obviously not intended for me.

I think you nailed it... this notice was likely intended for someone preparing the vehicle for customer delivery. This explains why it was stuffed in the bottom of the glovebox instead of displayed somewhere more prominent.

OK, back to doing-whatever-parking-procedure-I-want-to-do....

Back