swapping my i3 for a tesla model s

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busaman

after two years of owning my i3 rex which i can not fault appart from the rubbish tyres (puncture prone) im buying a tesla model s.

the reason is pretty much the charging network in the uk fine for local trips but after the weekend of two ecotricity pumps(which costs more than running on gas with the rex) that were broken thats now 5 in the last 7 times ive tried to use them and i dont have hours to wait when i go out.... if i didnt have the rex i would be massively p***ed and would have been stranded 80 miles from home..

so its with a sad heart ive traded my rex and got a p90d and boy does it go....

i agree i wasnt comparing them i love my i3 i think its a fantastic car. but the charging uncertanty i cant live with its like 2 out of 7 gas station only have working pumps when you arrive almost empty..

While I realize not everyone can deal with this, that's the reason why I don't take longer trips with my i3 which has never really been recharged except at home or the dealership while in for maintenance. Used as generally intended around town/commuting...the charging network isn't as big an impact.

i can live with the tread life as it is ive thrown 3 almost new tyres away in 6 months because they were unrepairable. the tesla has runflats so at least i wont be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a gash in my tyre.. that the glue wont fix..

You'll be very happy with your Model S. We have the best of both worlds: I have a Model S and my wife has an i3, and we like them both a lot. We use the i3 for short trips and the Model S for longer ones.

I'm an Ecotricity customer and have found their chargers are now
a) actually available most of the time
b) more reliable than before

As a customer, they give me 52 charges free per year and a £40 discount on my electricity bill. I mainly charge the i3 at home during the night on Economy 7. About 80% of our annual EV charging cost is offset by the FIT from our solar panels, which cost me £5k (to this me sounded like a better investment than £65k for a Model S).

Nevertheless, you've chosen a lovely car, which I am sure you'll enjoy. :)

That's correct, the Tesla won't come to a complete stop using regen braking only, partly because it's a much heavier car. I wish it did stop completely like the i3; I have to remember it doesn't whenever I switch cars. :)

roofless said:
That's correct, the Tesla won't come to a complete stop using regen braking only, partly because it's a much heavier car. I wish it did stop completely like the i3; I have to remember it doesn't whenever I switch cars. :)
That's the biggest issue I have when using my ICE...the thing just keeps going when you get off the go pedal.! Have to practice how to make a smooth stop every time I drive it (which isn't all that often).

psquare said:
I'm an Ecotricity customer and have found their chargers are now
a) actually available most of the time
b) more reliable than before

As a customer, they give me 52 charges free per year and a £40 discount on my electricity bill. I mainly charge the i3 at home during the night on Economy 7. About 80% of our annual EV charging cost is offset by the FIT from our solar panels, which cost me £5k (to this me sounded like a better investment than £65k for a Model S).

Nevertheless, you've chosen a lovely car, which I am sure you'll enjoy. :)

i did look at becoming an ecotricity customer but thier unit price was 3p more per unit and i use 9000 unit a year made it not worth the switch... ive now driven 600 miles since picking it up and first impressions are its a great car and im getting 4.3mile per kwhr and i dont hang arround so not too energy hungry my only complaint is its 2 inches too wide but hey i knew that when i bought it ..

(this one wasnt 65k but considderably more lol)

I'm with EDF, and their Blue Price Promise. With Ecotricity, My electricity cost would increase so a no-vraiber to avoid. Clearly there are regional differences, but for the limited 'free' weekly charge, it would be cheaper for me NOT to use them at all.

Late to the party here but I just picked up an i3 as my "around town" car. Have a Model S and there is no comparison imho. Different cars, different agendas. The Model S is amazing. My favorite car ever. However when I was looking an another EV, I test drove the i3 and was very impressed. Great finish and a real fun car to drive. Got a great deal on a lease return and couldn't be happier. Best of both worlds. Now when BMW comes out with an all electric M series sedan that's going to be competition.

Wi3er said:
Late to the party here but I just picked up an i3 as my "around town" car. Have a Model S and there is no comparison imho. Different cars, different agendas. The Model S is amazing. My favorite car ever. However when I was looking an another EV, I test drove the i3 and was very impressed. Great finish and a real fun car to drive. Got a great deal on a lease return and couldn't be happier. Best of both worlds. Now when BMW comes out with an all electric M series sedan that's going to be competition.

i totally agree i loved my i3 and would buy another no question however ive just driven my tesla for 1200 miles round trip with no problems at all the chargers were all free and all worked 100% without the need to get an app or cards no phone calls to ecotricity it just worked a great network now if the others could get thier act together like this it would be seamlesss....

Back