Swapping to Winter tyres/wheels

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSATLBA

Please can somebody with a UK spec car let me know what the sitaution is regarding the usual tools for changing a wheel, I suspect that no wheelbrace or jack is supplied as they shouldn't be required when using the puncture sealant kit.

However, I don't want to spend several hours (and probably enough cash to charge the car for over 1,000 miles!) going to a dealer when the time comes to swap wheels and tyres in the Autumn and Spring. I'd been assuming I could do the job in half an hour at home but what is the situation with regard to locking wheel nuts, is a key supplied? If not I may have to point out to the dealer that the block exemption is no longer in force and they don't have a monopoly on such things.

The manual shows the jacking points, so if you have a suitable jack, that part shouldn't be difficult. As to the wheel bolt key, I would think that one should have come with the vehicle.

One many BMW's, the jacking point is a plastic cup shaped socket...to prevent damage, you should use a puck with the appropriate nub on it to engage that socket. I just went and looked at mine...it does have a molded in socket for a jack pad. I didn't find one on Amazon in the UK, but this is what the adapter looks like http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JCSW20/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1NX7D2SJR6TCXH8RZHZS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846 . It might work out fine with just a flat pad, but the nub on this keeps it properly centered.

Back