Tailgate Issue after Software Update

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hengus

My I3 was in the shop yesterday for the engine bolt replacement and software upgrade. I appreciate that after a software upgrade a number of functions revert back to their default settings. The car was locked up overnight. This morning, I drove out to a store, removed a bag from the boot (as opposed to the frunk) and I left the car closed and locked. I physically checked that the tailgate was secure. When I returned to the car, the car was still locked but the tailgate was open and in the vertical position. I have looked at the key settings menu but I cannot find any combination of settings that would allow this happen. Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Since there's no motor on the i3's tailgate, I can't think of any way that could open itself...it would require a person to lift it. Only thing that comes to mind is that it was not fully latched, and someone opened it. Let us know if you discover something else. Note, depending on where you keep the fob, it's possible the button was pressed. In the USA, at least on my model, the fob does not unlatch the hatch, only the frunk (dumb in my opinion), but I've read that in some other places, the fob can open the hatch.

Back