Tested: Delphi Level 1 EVSE for 'APPROPRIATE' Environment...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1096

For Baby's First Charge, I hooked up my stock Delphi EVSE to my $87, 12-gauge extension cord and plugged it all into my 20A clothes washer outlet. To ensure that it wouldn't get wet overnight at the curb with "scattered light showers" predicted, I put the EVSE and the connector in an old kitty litter plastic tub and shoved it well-under the side of the car, beneath the charger port.

Well, this morning everything looked fine, but then a boiling thunder storm roared through and afterward, I went out and found 3/4" of water soaking the bottom where that laughably lawyerly Delphi label says to use the EVSE in an "APPROPRIATE" environment. Not having one of those here in upstate NY, I can report that the whole tangle survived the dunking. I wouldn't recommend soaking it, but it passed more than "splash" test for me.

Next, I'm going to ramp up the charge power to "Reduced" before taking it all the way to 120v. :eek:

I specifically asked BMWUSA about the included EVSE, and other than being submerged, it is designed for outdoor use. Use it, and don't worry about it. The built-in GFCI logic should prevent it from activating or shut it off if there's a problem, so there will only be current on the J1772 plug when it's safe.

I am awaiting my i3, but have wondered whether they are more prone to damage when driven in thunder storms than a combustion engined vehicle. Does anyone here know if the electronics is EMP hardened (ie in a metal box with spike suppressors at all points of entry or exit)?

quantium said:
I am awaiting my i3, but have wondered whether they are more prone to damage when driven in thunder storms than a combustion engined vehicle. Does anyone here know if the electronics is EMP hardened (ie in a metal box with spike suppressors at all points of entry or exit)?
No vehicle sold to the public today is EMP hardened. An EMP sufficiently strong and close will disable all of them. There are surprisingly few sources of EMPs, however.

Other than a direct hit, lightening is unlikely to disable any modern car in good condition. EVs may be as suseptible as ICEs, but that is mostly because of the common weaknesses in the 12v electronics. Also, the CFRP body of the i3 & i8 may be an issue, but not one I can address.

Back