the beauty of the UK car reg system (not)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquare

Our i3 delivery is imminent, but I decided to wait until March 1st, when the new plates arrive, as it will have an effect on resale value.

In addition to the weird numbering regiment, who ever conceived such a silly system? Other european countries seem to do fine issuing number plates without reg "time stamp".

Not long now.

Decided to wait also even though I could take delivery right now. At least the UK system now has two peaks a year rather than the single one of old.
I'm putting a dateless plate with my initials on anyway as I have had this for years. But if the i3 doesn't meet my expectations for a 10 year keeper I don't want to be moving on a '14 Model year car vs a '15 MY car.

But getting more excited as the days of February drag by :cool:

PluviaPlumbum said:
Decided to wait also even though I could take delivery right now. At least the UK system now has two peaks a year rather than the single one of old.
I'm putting a dateless plate with my initials on anyway as I have had this for years. But if the i3 doesn't meet my expectations for a 10 year keeper I don't want to be moving on a '14 Model year car vs a '15 MY car.

But getting more excited as the days of February drag by :cool:

Sorry, but I do not follow you... If you are getting a "dateless" plate why are you waiting for March?

Taking delivery of mine tomorrow! Got a personalized plate. Won't be able to sleep tonight.

Thought I was explaining that one already, IF I decide the i3 Doesn't fit my needs (which I very much think it will), I don't want to have a '14 MY registration date when by being a little bit patient I could have a '15 MY plate if a resale becomes necessary. The difference isn't that much I admit but any early trade in comes at a big price. Plus I'm off to Austria tomorrow for some snow fun. Ist Klar Ya? :) Hope you're enjoying yours in the meantime.

PluviaPlumbum said:
Thought I was explaining that one already, IF I decide the i3 Doesn't fit my needs (which I very much think it will), I don't want to have a '14 MY registration date when by being a little bit patient I could have a '15 MY plate if a resale becomes necessary. The difference isn't that much I admit but any early trade in comes at a big price. Plus I'm off to Austria tomorrow for some snow fun. Ist Klar Ya? :) Hope you're enjoying yours in the meantime.

I understand the advantage of the 15 plate. What is confusing is that you said you are putting on a dateless plate. Then you said you are waiting for a 15 plate. You can't have two plates for the car...

Think you're confusing the date of registration with the actual plate format that the car gets given when you sell on.

If I resell I will be keeping my dateless registration which I have owned for around 25 years and putting on the appropriate dated one from DVLA so rather than a '64 February Registration I would have a March '15 to sell. As I said just a wee bit of insurance in case things don't turn out as planned.

Back