The pain of drilling holes in the bumper for the front plate

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read a solution in a Tesla forum years ago. This guy took his plate to a print shop and had a copy made in vinyl, which he attached to the front of the car.

Not official, and may not satisfy legal requirements - but probably good enough to keep you from getting adverse attention from a cop.

I'll be installing my plate this weekend. We use this tape at work called VHB from 3M - works wonders outdoors. Comes off clean.
They claim that when used outdoors in adverse conditions, they have shown 100% bond retention over 2-5 years.
Here are more details: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/764998O/iatd-product-info.pdf

Also, here's an article about mounting: http://www.evcarlife.com/installing-bmw-i3-front-license-plate/

I know someone said that it affects sensors, but what if you don't have the self-parking package? There are no sensors on the front bumper in that case, right?

You don't get any sensors in the front bumper unless you've purchased the parking package...if you had them, they would be obvious on close examination...they look the same as those in the rear, which, I think, are standard in most markets.

An i3 passed me yesterday and their front plate was on the dashboard!

I put mine on with 3M tape. I did modify the plate holder a bit by adding flat plastic areas for the tape. It's on for the past 6 months with no problems.

As someone who has gone VERY fast on a motorcycle with a SENA headset held on ONLY by adhesive on the side of my helmet, I can vouch 100% that some strong 3M double sided tape will definitely work for holding the license plate on. (Way less drag, more surface area for adhesive, much lighter thing to mount)

FWIW, my ICE BMW that I picked up in Germany came with the plates mounted via double-sided tape. Held fine at 100mph and in rain storms. Most of the trim on cars these days is held on by tape that lasts the life of the vehicle.

Tacfoto said:
An i3 passed me yesterday and their front plate was on the dashboard!

I put mine on with 3M tape. I did modify the plate holder a bit by adding flat plastic areas for the tape. It's on for the past 6 months with no problems.

I see LOTS of cars around me with the front license plate just sitting in the windshield/on the dashboard. It's not legal, but I see so many, they must just not enforce it.

Latest posts

Back