Thermal windows

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMW4Me

Is it just me, or do others feel the heat from the summer sun, especially on the drivers side? I've touched the sill by the window and found it to be quite warm when the sun was beating down on it. I would like to see better thermal glass. Yes, this would add weight to the car, but it would also reduce energy used for cooling and heating the passenger cabin.

Interesting you mention that...I literally just returned from a shop where I had some 3m Crystalline material installed. I opted for a light, 90% (lets 90% of the light through) version, but it stops a very significant amount of the UV and IR (the film has over 200 layers of stuff in it!). It will be interesting to see how the cabin temperature is through the rest of the summer. Thermal, double-insulated glass is quite heavy in comparison to what's on the i3 now, and weight is always an issue.

Installed Crystalline on the windshield of my wifes Leaf and Color Stable on the remaining windows.Huge difference. I can feel much less heat from the windshield than the windows even though the windows are "dark". That said I'm going to do the same on my I3 (just entered production last week!) as I like the "look".

In reality, the 90% tint really doesn't look like the car is tinted at all. I chose that for several reasons...this 3M material rejects as much UV and IR as most other films that are MUCH darker, has no metal in it so it does not affect radio or gps or cellphone reception, and doesn't draw attention to the car from police. Now, if you really want darker, they do make it in as dark as 35% (I think), which is very hard to see through from the outside. If you're looking for privacy, a dark tint could be useful, but is illegal in most places on the front windows...having the same one on all with this stuff works just fine, for me. Now, if I lived in the desert, just for the glare, I may want it darker, but where I live, I think this will be fine.

I have had it on my GT for about 2-years now, and the interior temperature difference is very significant. This 3M sheeting is the only one recognized by the American Cancer Society as a reliable UV barrier and is used on many police, ambulance, and other official vehicles.

I only took one photo and I'm currently on the road. I can take more this weekend when I return.

1907386_10152296694103227_2004896183334353506_n.jpg

If you look in the lower left side of the windshield by the registration sticker (Texas currently has TWO stickers) you can see the difference. The installer left a rectangle in the tint so we can remove and reattach the stickers annually.

can you guys post how much your paying for 3m crystalline tint jobs? have been getting some really expensive estimates here in the bay area. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

blake

Two things against you: the film is somewhat unique and 3M won't sell it to just anyone. As a result (and I think the stuff itself is expensive), it tends to be more than most others out there. I paid $800 for all glass, which included the windshield...I've seen others being quoted about $500 without the windshield to a bit more. The windshield is very tall and has compound curves, and is quite difficult to install this film on (it tends to be thicker than most).

i got a new quote from another company for $900 for all glass including windshield. just debating now if i want to spend that kind of money on a care with a 30 month lease.

b

Back