Tire issue is frustrating. Need help with spare options...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to carry two. As has already been mentioned, the front 5" wheel and 155 tire combo work fine in the rear position. Early base models shipped with 155s all-around.

i keep a spare i3 wheel behind the drivers seat in a plastic bag on longer journeys

80k miles, 5yrs, so far, not needed, yet

This appears to be a very old thread but I faced this exact problem when I bought my i3S 3 years ago. I ordered a compact spare with a jack and a lug wrench and a cover from a place I believe called Compact Spare. They have the right offset for the i3. They also sell spares for Teslas and such so you can find them that way. The whole thing was about 400.00 I keep this spare set up just behind the passenger seat. I have so far never had to use it. I also bought a set of cast 19inch wheels with Blizzaks from Tire Rack and swap these off every Dec. 1 and April 1. I keep an old but usable original tire and have four tries new stashed in the garage. So you can see I am paranoid on the issue. But I have never had tire trouble.

When I bought my first i3, I had the opportunity to changes a flat using the factory-fitted can-o-goop/inflator, and was summarily unimpressed. After that, I purchased a full-size spare and wheel, which I carry to this day (5 years hence). I have, unfortunately, had to make use of the spare on more than one occasion. Needless to say, I am glad I had the foresight to get the spare, jack and lug wrench when I did.

This appears to be a very old thread but I faced this exact problem when I bought my i3S 3 years ago. I ordered a compact spare with a jack and a lug wrench and a cover from a place I believe called Compact Spare. They have the right offset for the i3. They also sell spares for Teslas and such so you can find them that way. The whole thing was about 400.00 I keep this spare set up just behind the passenger seat. I have so far never had to use it. I also bought a set of cast 19inch wheels with Blizzaks from Tire Rack and swap these off every Dec. 1 and April 1. I keep an old but usable original tire and have four tries new stashed in the garage. So you can see I am paranoid on the issue. But I have never had tire trouble.

Same as what I do. My i3 came with 20” wheels, I buy a new set of Bridgestone EP500 every couple of years, I have the old EP500 set on standby in case I need a tire or two if there’s sidewall damage (unrepairable) and a new front tire spare which I rotate.

I bought a used - in “mint condition”, set of 19” “pizza wheels” for winter, I have winter tires mounted on the 19” wheels, like you I swap the wheels out in December (or on first snow) and swap the summer set back around April 1.

I’m a bit paranoid about the wheel situation too. In Minnesota, winter tires are mandatory for me.
—-
My i4 has Michelin Pilot “all season” tires mounted. They work ok. But then again, the tires are more “normal size”, they work fine for summer and I have an extra set of wheels with Nokian R5 winter tires, swapping at the same time I swap the i3 tires.

Last edited:
So it happened on the freeway driving home. Went over probably a sharp blade like object and it resulted in a nice 2 inch gash. Tire repair was out of question. No one here in Los Angeles had this tire in stock. Rear passenger side. It held enough air to drive me back home but ow it's completely flat. Ordered one from Walmart so as of now, without the i3 for almost a 3 days.

I don't care if I lose trunk space or range but am looking for a suitable wheel tire spare.
Anyone has done this? Can you provide me with a link to a spare wheel and tire combo?
I would not bother if I was on your place. Most probably you'll never be in such unfortunate situation again, with your i3. In my case with i3s, I changed all tires to 195/55 R20 to get wider contact area & reduce PSI, I am carrying a 500cl tire repair foam which I did not use yet. If you are willing to carry a spare at all cost, I suggest to find the tiniest spare tire/rim combo with 5x112 bolt pattern. That will do the job until you repair or replace the damaged tire.

Latest posts

Back