" two phones _ one Android & one iPhone _ pairing CONFUSION"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocRush

Hi everybody.
There is a problem that I could not solve/understand and also I did not see :eek: a thread concerning this particular issue.

My wife has two cellular mobile phones in her purse; one of them is business (SAMSUNG) and the other is private (iPhone 6). Upon her kind request I made the pairing operation of those with our i3's BlueTOOTH system and there is not any third BlueTOOTH device in this list.

As she had foreseen in this way "I made her business phone on the top of that list".
Additionally, her Korean phone is so smart that whenever it understands that getting through i3's door it sings out (=beeps) each time :x .

When she received a phone call via business one she can succeed performing handsFREE communication undoubtedly. If the subsequent caller preferred her private phone this time, she barely manages surfing through iDrive menu (for 15-20 seconds) and mostly succeeds to communicate via handsFREE system of i3.

Here comes my question: Why does the i3s' BlueTOOTH system always remember the latest used/paired phone automatically? Isn't it possible to simplify this BlueTOOTH protocol in an unhesitating manner. In other words, we want freedom of pairing priority/privelege for those two phones in an equal manner. Whenever one of them rings it should pair i3's BT without any protocol. ;)
I am not sure if any make and/or model offers such a liberty: "Just push the button on the steering wheel and start talking" :roll:

My other BMW will only pair a maximum of two phones simultaneously, and only one has full capability. I have not tried this on the i3, but it's probably the same. Have you viewed the operator's manual or watched any of the videos on bmwusa.com?

I also carry two phones - Blackberry (won't laugh) for work and Android for personal use. I don't have any problem to receive call with either one on top. I found the sequence only matters when calling out and the contact is in both phone, i3 will then call out using phone 1.

You problem may be with one of your phones.

The logic in my other BMW is you can only set one phone as the 'primary' with full functionality. But, the secondary phone can receive phone calls.

jadnashuanh said:
The logic in my other BMW is you can only set one phone as the 'primary' with full functionality. But, the secondary phone can receive phone calls.

Agreed... You can pair two phones (designated as "1" and "2") and these two can be used simultaneously, you just have to choose one to make calls from as an "Active". You can also have as many other phones paired as you wish, but these two designated always have the priority.

There are some bugs in the system, for example, I have 2 samsung galaxy s6's one for work one my own, if you allow the Idrive to have access to text messages, then they get confused and continually pair and unpair, if I have both paired at once, and a call comes in, it crashes the Idrive completely which is just annoying, and i've updated to the latest i drive and that doesn't fix anything.

Back