UK Delays

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovin' it.

Feels very well built. Looks immaculate.

Have done 50 miles of mixed driving and just put it on to charge now.

We've read some excellent reviews of how they drive, and it is excellent, so let me give you my first experiences of charging:

We don't yet have the access details for the app (dealer tells us will arrive by text in 1 or 2 days) so charging info is currently coming from the dash and the led strip in the charge plug area (the fuel filler flap area!). I noticed on the smart meter that after 2 hours the rate of charge had dropped from just over 7kw to 4.5kw, obviously as the battery approaches full charge. Some charging stuff had me reaching for the handbook - after a few minutes of charging the led around the charge point on the car goes out! Is it still charging? Reach for the handbook (which frankly is pretty poor English) and yes the led is supposed to go out. Press the BMW button on the fob and it comes back on to tell you the charge status. If you want a more detailed SOC you unlock the car and more info is displayed on the dash. Charging stops whilst the car is unlocked then starts when locked again. All new stuff to learn.

I also tried the auxiliary heating, having programmed it to the diamond button on the fob, and it works well but initially makes a quite a noise which surprised me, it's quite mechanical noise which I wouldn't have expected?

Impression so far is very positive - very pleased.

Congrats Atommad !

With the heating noise, I'm wondering how loud it is just from a disturbance POV. If you started it early in the morning with the car on the drive is it loud enough to be heard indoors ?

Probably not, and it very quickly, say 5 seconds, went much quieter so I would say no. I was listening to it with the car in the garage so it probably sounded noisier than it actually was.

Car fully charged now - the Wallbox button was solid blue, and the filler area was green (when I pressed the BMW) button. Range is showing 77 miles, I guess based on driving average so far and with heater on in Comfort mode.

Lemonypye said:
Mine has slipped and slipped too (See previous posts), however, it's starting to feel tangible.

The current status is : 9605 Pre EU Port of Exit

Hi... hmmm that seems like code for... "its built and waiting (all lonely and cold) for a ride to the UK"

Where did you get the status from? It would be great to be able to track the progress on lin... like an advanced parcel tracking system.. :)

noakey said:
Lemonypye said:
Mine has slipped and slipped too (See previous posts), however, it's starting to feel tangible.

The current status is : 9605 Pre EU Port of Exit

Hi... hmmm that seems like code for... "its built and waiting (all lonely and cold) for a ride to the UK"

Where did you get the status from? It would be great to be able to track the progress on lin... like an advanced parcel tracking system.. :)

I used the good old fashioned 'bug the dealer' method. He has been invaluable at keeping me up to date with status changes, even sending me screenshots from the BMW ordering system (which looks like it was written in 1983 On a VAX VMS....very old school) :D

Well worth the wait :) I ordered in april and took receipt friday just gone and it is amazing!
Definitely go for the access option, with it you can be moving in less than 2 seconds :)
Led headlights look great, I went for cloth as didnt want the wood trim, not disappointed...spent my
money on sunroof 20 inches parking camera :)

Awesome. . It sounds like your reply pleased with the i3.. Wow. .. I ticked all the boxes except the sunroof.. and going fir the second trim level... I managed to let the local dealer (40 miles away) to let me borrow one for the evening... The wife was grinning all over her face after 10 ish mile wizzing. . I also got to try i3 out on motorway and it cruised at 70 fabulous and was no more noisy than my jag.. very kewl... mine is due in June. .. Enjoy your new machine. .. keep posting.. keep us up to date... especially over max range you achieve... :)

Atommad said:
I also tried the auxiliary heating, having programmed it to the diamond button on the fob

Atommad, can you comment more on this? It sounds like you are using the diamond button on the keyfob to command a climate prestart, aka "remote start" of the car. Can you confirm, and describe where that config is in the car menu?

This feature is very important to me. So important that it is the TOP FEATURE in the "EV subtleties" in my very long EV checklist (link below). It would be great news to have it confirmed that the diamond button can be configured that way, as rumored for months.

ChrisC said:
Atommad said:
I also tried the auxiliary heating, having programmed it to the diamond button on the fob

Atommad, can you comment more on this? It sounds like you are using the diamond button on the keyfob to command a climate prestart, aka "remote start" of the car. Can you confirm, and describe where that config is in the car menu?

This feature is very important to me. So important that it is the TOP FEATURE in the "EV subtleties" in my very long EV checklist (link below). It would be great news to have it confirmed that the diamond button can be configured that way, as rumored for months.

That's definitely a yes: you go to Settings/Doors & Key, and have 4 options to choose from:

kkHkhyIo.jpg

I ordered 7th Jan and got a provisional date of 26th June, however emailed the iGenius two weeks ago and he said it has moved from Jun, September, July and back again! Still no confirmed date.

I ordered my Rex mid Nov 13. I was expecting delivery mid May. I was told by dealer that the car was about to go into production. Then after hearing nothing for 2weeks I chased on the production status only to be told that BMW have put back production on orders ammended in March (I dropped DC fast charge following BMW email that there was uncertainty on the rollout of compatible fast chargers). They were quoting September, I went nuclear with the dealer who said he has got it down to late May production for June delivery. I am fuming - I was told when ordering it was a first come first served basis - really BMW? seems like certain orders are being injected into the queue.

Fed up with getting run-around and close to dumping my order and dropping the deposit for an i8. Given the poor customer service before purchase and growing complaints about customer service after purchase I have to question if BMW are the right people to buy this technology from.

Hi,

sounds *really* frustrating... It seems it is not the technology but the organisation/customer logistics that is failing (again ?). Perhaps just as bad. I guess miscommunication and an unfulfilled promise here and there have sort of marred the whole i project from the moment they started to engage with (prospective) customers. On the plus side: the car (i3 that is, can't afford i8 ;) ) is very nice to live with though.

Regrads, Steven

Thanks Steven for your positive words. There is a level of complacency that BMW appear to have, given the positive reviews of the i3.

There appears to be a desire to appease the North American market at the expense of the faithful European market.

MrM, I am writing this from across the pond and the continent. I am in California where we are still awaiting the arrival of the i3 If BMW is trying to please its North American buyers, its not doing a very good job of it. I purchased the Launch Edition, a costly little thing. You would think that if BMW is thinking about profits, they would want to complete the deal for those of us who are spending top dollar. The Launch Edition will be the first batch of i3s available in the states. This purchase has reemphasized the childhood lesson I received from my parents about patience. Good luck and I hope you will be receiving your i3 soon.

Back