UK extended test drive Rex

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonville

Picked up the silver Rex yesterday from dealer in Reading. They had fully charged so someone is learning. It has the leather so can test that out for stickiness. I'll get some pictures up later.

Anyway main objectives to see how the Harman Kardon sound and to see if the British gas Chargemaster/polar works OK having had it installed last week.

Lead time remains the same. My build slot is still October!

Out of the dealer's yard and then onto the Reading Inner Distribution Ring road. Aha. Time to try out the ACC and all this cutting out in shadows and what not. Set it on for 40mph. Great. Green symbol away we go , foot off the gas, great. Coming up to lights. Not slowing down? Why not? Jam on the anchors. At that point it occurs to me this vehicle is not equipped with ACC. Ha ha. Stupid boy best not to use the IDR as a test track. I later look up the VIN number to get the spec. It is of course cruise control with braking. I.e. It keeps the speed down hill as well as up. Doh.

I try out a simulated ACC failure by turning off cruise control. I find that if you keep your foot just on that soft spongy point when on cruise control, or ACC I am guessing, then when the ACC trips out you should not get the regen. Works like that on cruise control I can just overcome the regen kickin so I don't get rear ended. Might help others? I know you don't ideally want to stress out your foot if you have paid for ACC but it feels like a nice way to not have the anxiety. Maybe someone can try that? Just cover the accelerator/gas pedal.

Anyway the speakers are great. Should be as there are two silver cones pointing at your left and right ears. Found I had to adjust balance to rear slightly otherwise it all felt up in the windshield area. So I think they are a yes. I think I am happy to trade off the 20 inch for the speakers.

Charging. Worked great first time. Bought the blue python from the dealer. Seemed the best buy around. Didn't realise both ends are different but was pretty obvious which way round it went. Didn't seem to be drawing any current at first. Not much more than the kettle. Odd. So checked out the meter cupboard and it seems the sensor I have is on the tail to the house not the complete supply! Rookie error I am sure the BG guy did that on purpose for a joke. Me sitting there thinking boy this is cheap charging........anyway soon rectified onto the right tail lead and viola 6.9kw. Stayed like that for a couple of hours before I turned off. This morning I topped up and it dropped off to 1.2kw. Plug went green when I unlocked car. No dramas. Many thanks to all on this forum for the insight and knowledge to be able to confidently do all this with no trauma.

Took neighbour for a quick spin. He said the acceleration reminded him of the early Saab turbos the kick in the back. Until everyone got used to it and were doing it all the time. Demoed the Rex starting. When I found it in the right menu. Just about hear it when the radio stereo is off but not when playing music. Fan runs on when you turn it off when stationary. i.e. Ignition off. Is it water cooled ? or air cooled. Almost make more noise when you have stopped than it does when you are travelling.

Tried the auto park. Went back to the same space I came out of. It recognised the space but wouldn't go into it said "risk of collision". Ha. So about as good as it is in the F10. Need more practice to see what it's problem was. Suspect the hedge on the off side was too close for its chosen manoeuvre radius.

Pulling out of the slot, having manually manoeuvred in, I noticed one other thing that there has been some discussion on. The front beepers warned me of the proximity of the hedge. Now in thinking about it I may have selected reverse in getting out of the slot? but I thought I just went straight forward and they came on. Need to try that again.

Took care in getting on the drive to make sure that I selected the parking break after pressing park. No spurious lights yet. When parking in a multi story I noticed that the vehicle rocked back when I was on a sloping space, part of slight incline to let water run off, before I selected park and the parking break. I can see that if you just press 'stop start' button it will potentially move if it's not on level ground. Wonder if that's what is confusing the software? I think Park only gets selected after a few movements.

Also I found you can drive away without the seatbelt on but only if you manually deselect the parking brake. Otherwise it gives you a warning that the parking brake is on which it doesn't do if you have put your belt on. Interesting.

The vehicle itself was built in November 2013 so I guess has old software in it. I'll see if I can find a version number in the menus.

Anyway that's it for now.

Gonville said:
Picked up the silver Rex yesterday from dealer in Reading. They had fully charged so someone is learning.

We test drove the same one :) I'd like to give the Reading dealership credit--both times we've test driven their i3's, they were fully charged. Many of the gripes I see on here about dealers not knowing information was not true in our experience with Reading. Their i3 expert was quite knowledgeable (despite having only started the job 2 weeks prior!) and the information they gave us on followup visits was great--it all accurately checked out.

Our experience thus far (test drive + extended test drive + finance discussion + ordering) with the Reading dealership has been great, I highly recommend them. I've seen quite a few i3's in my area that I presume they sold so it seems like they've had quite a bit of exposure.

Dealer said they had sold their fifth one personal sale and around 10 corporate although he couldn't be sure. The head office is around somewhere and he said some of those you might see are from there.

He had been reading the forums since I mentioned it and was surprised that all the deliveries seemed to be going to the US.

Gonville said:
Dealer said they had sold their fifth one personal sale and around 10 corporate although he couldn't be sure. The head office is around somewhere and he said some of those you might see are from there.

He had been reading the forums since I mentioned it and was surprised that all the deliveries seemed to be going to the US.

Ah yes, BMW UK headquarters is in Bracknell. That would explain seeing so many in the area when going to Bracknell/Swinley Forest to ride.

elptex said:
Gonville said:
Picked up the silver Rex yesterday from dealer in Reading. They had fully charged so someone is learning.

We test drove the same one :) I'd like to give the Reading dealership credit--both times we've test driven their i3's, they were fully charged. Many of the gripes I see on here about dealers not knowing information was not true in our experience with Reading. Their i3 expert was quite knowledgeable (despite having only started the job 2 weeks prior!) and the information they gave us on followup visits was great--it all accurately checked out.

Our experience thus far (test drive + extended test drive + finance discussion + ordering) with the Reading dealership has been great, I highly recommend them. I've seen quite a few i3's in my area that I presume they sold so it seems like they've had quite a bit of exposure.

Hi. I wanted to give a huge thumbs up to reading too. I turned up unannounced at 6 pm and they were more than will to give test drive, then I turned up again the next week at about 5.30pm.. again test drive no probs.. then I ordered. . A few weeks later they loaned me i3 for 24 hours (had to Check the misses approved. .. All no probs... i would thoroughly recommend the reading dealership.

Just taken it back today. Very very sad. Have to drive into London tonight and it would have been ideal.

General
Still we had a long run out yesterday to Hinton Ampner. It wanted to go down the windy roads but I forced it onto the M3 freeway south bound. Was fine at 70mph but you notice a little more reaction to the side winds but not disconcertingly so.

My partner was not quite asleep as is usual in the F10 but not uncomfortable.

Range
We had a good cream tea and after a walk around the gardens headed back. I was planning to hit one of the Ecotricity fast chargers (no DC prep) on the way up the M3 but timetable precluded that and we headed straight back. I was expecting to reach range anxiety point, pretending I was in a BEV, as the total should have been about 80 miles. However on the way back we took the recommended eco route and I chickened out and went to ECO pro.

Door rattle
My partner noticed some considerable door rattle on the passenger side. No warning lights and we hadn't played with the rear doors on that side. Still we resolved that by giving it a good slam, rear doors that is, before setting off back. Later I discovered the standard EVSE charge unit was in the trunk and not rolled up or secured. Possibility that was rattling on passenger side and noise transmitting through. Seems awfully hard to locate where noises are coming from.

Comfort
Comfort wise the big difference to a five series is the wheel base of course. The long wheel base absorbs some of the pitching moments which were becoming a bit excessive as I started to press on towards the end of the return journey. Coupled with the length of the seat back and its slight elasticity tended to create a whip lash type rocking momentum which eventually resulted in a "where's my cushion?" comment. Even in 5 a cushion is required to stop head lolling/pummeling. Still I felt that the 19inch wheels did a better job on the road than the 5 series which tends to slam into potholes with the run flats. Aha! that is it - runflats or the lack of. Now I understand!

Driveability
Excellent. I must admit I was in retired person mode on the way down for our first ever trip out. On the way back as it became clear that we had sufficient range, and anyway its a rex, I experienced the 'hoon' sensation when being followed closely by Mercs and white vans. Shooting away from the lights is indeed very pleasing. Also from roundabouts approaching safely under regen braking and then being able to accelerate away more rapidly than they are expecting. At one roundabout a TVR coupe that had been following for some time was I think a little taken aback when it opened out into a two lane section and he had trouble keeping up. I heard him apply full throttle as we approached 70mph and he only just made it past with a big roar before we reached the end of the section. Well done little i3 was what I was thinking and what a lot of gas he just burned off. Then I checked SOC just to be sure I hadn't sacrificed journey completion.

Reception
On a visit to the dump this morning the assembled crew had no idea what it was except that it was silent. They eventually worked out it was a BMW. Commercial guys in a van wanted to know what it cost to run. As usual consultant's answer "it depends on your tariff" but roughly 2-3p a mile. That had them nodding. It was the first i3 they had ever seen so I guess no-one is using the municipal waste disposal area if they have an i3.

Final comment
No problems. Enjoyed it immensely. I have no idea how I am going to survive until November.
:( :( :(

Gonville said:
Reception
On a visit to the dump this morning the assembled crew had no idea what it was except that it was silent. They eventually worked out it was a BMW. Commercial guys in a van wanted to know what it cost to run. As usual consultant's answer "it depends on your tariff" but roughly 2-3p a mile. That had them nodding. It was the first i3 they had ever seen so I guess no-one is using the municipal waste disposal area if they have an i3.

Hehe I've been to the dump in mine, didn't get any comments.

Good write up and thanks for sharing.

Regards

Bill

Latest posts

Back