UK Option prices....

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. DC rapid charge - £560 (!) I'm new to EV, please advise how this would be used?

2. Comfort Access? - £330 - what is it? Extra sliding of front seats for rear entry?

3. Extended Storage?

4. Sun protection glass? £280? Is that just darker side windows? Surely all glass has UV filtering on new cars?

5. Service Inclusive/+? REx i can understand will need ICE servicing - what tends to need work on EVs?

Cheers

ecoangel said:
1. DC rapid charge - £560 (!) I'm new to EV, please advise how this would be used?

2. Comfort Access? - £330 - what is it? Extra sliding of front seats for rear entry?

3. Extended Storage?

4. Sun protection glass? £280? Is that just darker side windows? Surely all glass has UV filtering on new cars?

5. Service Inclusive/+? REx i can understand will need ICE servicing - what tends to need work on EVs?

Cheers

1) DC rapid charge - 80% charge in 30 mins - you need the new CCS chargers for this to work - none in the UK at the moment - many have been promised ..... will have to wait and see

2) Comfort Access - silly name that doesn't really tell you what it does. It allows you to open the car without taking the key out of your pocket - quite useful in cars (like the i3) where you don't need the key to start the car. ie it allows you to keep your key in your pocket all the time never needing to get it out.

3) Extended Storage - standard all UK cars so you get it anyway - nets and cup holders.

4) Sun protection glass - for the full Drugs Runner Look - from the B pillar back - fashionable in some parts of the world where they have sunshine.

5) Service Inclusive - even EV's have suspension, brakes, steering, etc that need lubrication & checking

Thanks Parker

Probably would give comfort access a miss.

Servicing - yes looks pretty standard disk brakes all round and MacPherson strut suspension with those bio-degradable bump stops!

But would have thot EV should be less than an ICE to service overall? No clutch, timing belt, air filter, oil filter, oil, exhaust system?

Notice the prices say STARTING AT £xxx

So maybe REx is more?

OK, correct me if I'm wrong:

REx seems to cost £3150 more than pure EV car? But if we spec the EV with Heat Pump and Winter pack (flaps) to "improve" range it's more like £2360.

If the service deal is as you say then that's better value for REx drivers.

ecoangel said:
Winter pack (flaps) to "improve" range it's more like £2360.

If I could have only one option, it would be the Cold Weather Package. For £260 you get heated seats and battery pre-heating along with that "Active air flap"

Keeping the battery warm in winter will greatly help with range. So will heated seats, as you won't need to run the cabin heater as much. The standard heater probably uses about 3 or 4kw of power. Seat heaters use about 1/10 of the power.

Without ZWT or the heat pump, winter range on battery power is probably about 60 miles.

Good Choice A/D, my point was to compare REx additional cost with pure EV model that was spec'd with winter pack and HP.

But Ii think Winter pack on it's own is more affordable as you say.

Shame these range and efficiency items are Options and not standard - be interesting if B<W actually stated how much extra EV range they might provide in say a -10 deg C winter.

hello there, been looking at the forum and reading all the useful posts

I was going to pre order my i3 but with all the add ons, i think i might just wait now till early next year and see if BMW start to offer packs.
my current commute is 120 Return trip with no real charge points in between so the range extender seems to be what i would need.

i suppose a visit to the bmw showroom in town might be the best place to start for my fact findign on my needs..

or maybe try and grab a an ex demo when available

I also wondered about the DC Fast Charge option, but in the end have ordered without. It's an expensive option (over £500), and there are pretty much zero charging points like that available in the UK. I talked to the dealer about getting it anyway to 'future proof' the car, but they thought very unlikely to be many (any?) DC fast charge points in UK within next 3 years, so not worth it. So I've ordered without (but I have gone for REX, with the 'Winter Pack' option that gives you remote pre-heating controlled by an iPhone app). Hope that helps.

sratansi said:
i suppose a visit to the bmw showroom in town might be the best place to start for my fact findign on my needs..

There are 46 UK BMW-i dealers. We need to drive past two BMW dealers to get to the closest BMW-i store.

Here is the list.

http://insideevs.com/bmw-reveals-46-strong-dealer-network-for-i-sub-brand-in-uk/

==
If your local BMW dealer isn't an i-store. . .
Plenty of initial information here ---> http://www.bmw.co.uk/en/new-vehicles/bmw-i/i3/2013/start.html

You can also email or phone BMW-i with questions.

You can reach the Customer Information Team on 08000 640 360 or via email [email protected].

Back