UK Sales

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSATLBA

It would be interesting to see what the UK sales volumes are for the i3. Anecdotally they must still be tiny, for example, I had my test drive on 8 Jan (yes, that's almost 6 months ago!) and still haven't seen another i3 on the road anywhere, not even a demo car (ie 13 plate).

There are some stats on the public part of the SMMT site http://www.smmt.co.uk/2014/06/may-2014-ev-registrations/ , where one can read between the lines. For example looking at May and comparing 2014 with 2013:

Plug in - pure electric down from 412 to 350
Plug in - other up from 60 to 137

My guess would be that this shows Leaf etc sales being hit by i3 sales but the proportion of i3s that are BEVs isn't enough for the pure electric number to have increased overall.

It may also go some way to explaining the variation in order delays (see UK orders thread) given how small overall RHD production must be, if there is any grouping at all by spec at manufacturing time.

RJSATLBA said:
It would be interesting to see what the UK sales volumes are for the i3. Anecdotally they must still be tiny, for example, I had my test drive on 8 Jan (yes, that's almost 6 months ago!) and still haven't seen another i3 on the road anywhere, not even a demo car (ie 13 plate).

There are some stats on the public part of the SMMT site http://www.smmt.co.uk/2014/06/may-2014-ev-registrations/ , where one can read between the lines. For example looking at May and comparing 2014 with 2013:

Plug in - pure electric down from 412 to 350
Plug in - other up from 60 to 137

See June....http://www.smmt.co.uk/2014/07/june-2014-ev-registrations/

Plug in - pure electric up from 191 to 661
Plug in - other up from 85 to 170

EV12.jpg

Not much to add in terms of the numbers above. What I note is that I actually see i3's everywhere. I live in the Henley area, north of Reading, and on a weekly basis our driving around takes us in a triangle of Reading, Oxford, and west London (Heathrow area). There are about 10 of the same ones I see on a regular basis and I'll randomly see another 1 or 2 each week. My best guess on the biggest factors are affluence and commuter links.

elptex said:
Not much to add in terms of the numbers above. What I note is that I actually see i3's everywhere. I live in the Henley area, north of Reading, and on a weekly basis our driving around takes us in a triangle of Reading, Oxford, and west London (Heathrow area). There are about 10 of the same ones I see on a regular basis and I'll randomly see another 1 or 2 each week. My best guess on the biggest factors are affluence and commuter links.

Looks like you've identified another North South divide indicator! I still haven't seen one anywhere except at the dealership nor have I seen one when travelling further afield (eg Kent and back last Sun).

elptex said:

Wonder if they are BMW's own as they have an office in Hook. Agree with not seeing any in the wild, spent a week in Cornwall and did not see another either going from Kent or returning.http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=3&p=10471#

bishbosh said:
I quite like the fact is a rare sight. Must admit though since mine arrived i haven't seen another on the road....

Hmmm that's true... i saw one in the m4 before ours arrived. .. but not seen any since... it does seem to attract a lot of attention ..

I haven`t seen one in the wild in Germany, though there are a lot more of them on the road. Guess that is because most stay rather close to their home, and there don´t seem to be any close to where I live.

I already saw 2 Teslas on the road. Probably more long distance driving by the Tesla owners.

Frank

I've had mine for about a month now...my dealer has sold about 10 since May, but I've only seen one, once on the road. Now, I haven't driven all that far, so that is a factor, too.

Back