UK Used i3's Galore!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecopromaster

Any thoughts on Used I3's?

I've been looking at a new one but haven't pulled the trigger yet due to long lead times, from my conversations with Vines of Guildford I've been told they've got access to quite a few Used cars, it seems they're getting more prevalent. Prices aren't too bad either!

If anyone else is a bit put off by the lead times give the guys a call on 01483 207000.

If they can find one with my preferred spec (I'm quite specific with it!) I'll be keen to skip the 3-ish month lead time.

Most of the used ones I've seen are the demo models from late 2013 finally being releasing by BMW corporate for resale.

I would have bought one last year if they had allowed it. As note, the lead times to order one are more like 6-8 months. You'd be stark lucky if you got one in 3 months.

I wish they'd put them up online for me to browse. It seems none of the BMW showrooms around the UK have an i section for approved used cars, even though many have them for sale on the forecourt.
In the meantime I've got one on order due around May, but I'd definitely be tempted to cancel it for a used model with similar specs.

I was initially tempted to look for a used i3 on the basis I might be able to secure a fully loaded car for a reasonable price and avoid a long wait but decided it was better to be patient.

There does not appear to be a lot of used cars out there and good dealer demonstrator examples are being offered to customers already on their waiting list or to favoured customers. I would steer clear of the early 63 reg cars as you don't know what in production changes BMW have made, but not publicised, to improve quality and reliability. There is also the hassle involved in getting all the software upgrades installed and compatibility with older devices. Presumably BMW started production slowly for a reason - they did not want to compromise their reputation because of potential issues with early build cars incorporating so much new tech. Now that production is being cranked up I feel much more reassured about the quality of cars that are now leaving the production line. From experience with other new car models I have always regretted buying during the first 12 months.

Wanted to know the pricing. Called number given by OP. Spoke to a salesman (?) who was very eager to sell one. Wanted to email me a list of available cars. Finally got the figures from him. Starting prices from £25k. Works out to about 10% depreciation after one year.

trudderham said:
I wish they'd put them up online for me to browse. It seems none of the BMW showrooms around the UK have an i section for approved used cars, even though many have them for sale on the forecourt.
In the meantime I've got one on order due around May, but I'd definitely be tempted to cancel it for a used model with similar specs.

Hi Trudderham,

I work for Vines.
What are the must have's in your spec and I can see if we can locate a used one for quick delivery?

Kind regards
evdriver123

i7fan said:
Wanted to know the pricing. Called number given by OP. Spoke to a salesman (?) who was very eager to sell one. Wanted to email me a list of available cars. Finally got the figures from him. Starting prices from £25k. Works out to about 10% depreciation after one year.

Hi i7fan,

I believe you spoke to my colleague. He is indeed keen to sell them, but I guess that's what we're here for..?

I see you already have an i3 so I guess you were just calling to see what depreciation is like on them? For your info, the used i3's are selling at around 75-85% of original invoice value, depending on age and mileage.

This could be seen as a strong residual value which I would hope, as the owner of an i3, would come as good news...

Regards,
evdriver123

elptex said:
Most of the used ones I've seen are the demo models from late 2013 finally being releasing by BMW corporate for resale.

I would have bought one last year if they had allowed it. As note, the lead times to order one are more like 6-8 months. You'd be stark lucky if you got one in 3 months.

Hi elptex

The current official lead time for i3's in the UK is 14 weeks.

Regards,
evdriver123

evdriver123 said:
elptex said:

Hi elptex

Regards,
evdriver123

I was quoted 22 weeks when I ordered mine Jan 5th. Do you think I should expect it sooner?

evdriver123 said:
trudderham said:

Hi Trudderham,

I work for Vines.
What are the must have's in your spec and I can see if we can locate a used one for quick delivery?

Kind regards
evdriver123

REX, Ionic Silver, Pro Nav, LED headlights and Lodge/Loft interior. I have a new model on order with an estimated delivery of late May. Madness. No rush, however, it'll be a few weeks until I have charging points installed at work and home!

trudderham said:
evdriver123 said:
elptex said:

Hi elptex

Regards,
evdriver123

I was quoted 22 weeks when I ordered mine Jan 5th. Do you think I should expect it sooner?

Unfortunately I cant answer that as its only for orders placed now we have been given a 14wk lead time.

Hopefully yours will come quicker for you :)

All the best

trudderham said:
evdriver123 said:
trudderham said:

Hi Trudderham,

I work for Vines.

Kind regards
evdriver123

REX, Ionic Silver, Pro Nav, LED headlights and Lodge/Loft interior. I have a new model on order with an estimated delivery of late May. Madness. No rush, however, it'll be a few weeks until I have charging points installed at work and home!

Hi there,

Thanks for giving me your specification. I may be able to get the following car which is on 6000 miles and being sold at £29250.
REX, Ionic Silver, Pro NAV, LED headlights, 19" turbine 428 alloys, LOFT world, Winter pack, Park Assist pack, Enhanced Bluetooth.

If it is still available, it should be available from order to delivery in a couple of weeks.

I of course don't want to step on another BMW centre's toes(!) but it could be worth considering?

Regards,
evdriver123

trudderham said:
evdriver123 said:
elptex said:

Hi elptex

Regards,
evdriver123

I wouldn't expect it sooner. Every single person in the UK on this forum and the wider Facebook group has noted delivery times in excess of 6 months. This has been the situation for more than 1 year now--the UK market is not a priority compared to, primarily, the US.

evdriver123 said:
Hi there,

Thanks for giving me your specification. I may be able to get the following car which is on 6000 miles and being sold at £29250.
REX, Ionic Silver, Pro NAV, LED headlights, 19" turbine 428 alloys, LOFT world, Winter pack, Park Assist pack, Enhanced Bluetooth.

If it is still available, it should be available from order to delivery in a couple of weeks.

I of course don't want to step on another BMW centre's toes(!) but it could be worth considering?

Regards,
evdriver123

Thanks! Much appreciated, I might give you a call in a few weeks once I've sorted out charging points at home and work.

elptex said:
I wouldn't expect it sooner. Every single person in the UK on this forum and the wider Facebook group has noted delivery times in excess of 6 months. This has been the situation for more than 1 year now--the UK market is not a priority compared to, primarily, the US.

Not true. I ordered in mid September and the car arrived at the dealer end of January. Just over 4 months. Maybe I got lucky.

Yup. I think you got lucky but they have ramped up production. Having missed out on joy for the whole of last summer.......I am sure you will be smiling as much as I am.

Drove past a Shell station today. Giant tanker. Thinking why? All that toxic stuff and highly flammable what were we thinking of when we let the petrochemical folks rule the world.

elptex said:
(...) As note, the lead times to order one are more like 6-8 months. You'd be stark lucky if you got one in 3 months.

Really? I ordered mine yesterday and my dealer said delivery will be May.

BTW: The dealer (here in Germany) offered i could by one of their testdrive cars in a few months too ... but they are fully loaded (so price is very high) and only 5% off. Would be more expensive as my individual order.

Back