Upgrade battery.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upgrade experience

We were also at Havrla this week with our I3rex (60 Ah from 2014). We arranged the modalities for a used 120 Ah battery, questions and appointment in advance by email. As we had a 900 km journey from Switzerland to the Czech Republic, we preferred to rent a trailer, put the I3 on it and tow it to CZ with our second car, a Ford Ranger. Havrla is super nice and helpful, got to work during the night, also accommodated our trailer and in the morning we were supposed to pick up the I3 for our sightseeing tour to Prague. During the night he kept us up to date with pictures and videos of the progress of the work. He also noticed that the suspension strut bearing was making noises and I had to put up with the accusation that he would have repaired it if I had informed him in advance and he had been able to get the spare parts.

The range indicator showed almost 300 km in the morning (comfort mode, heated garage) and the journey to Prague (well worth seeing, by the way) and back (almost 100 km) only required ¼ of the capacity. We ended the day in our spa hotel Sen, just 9 km from Havrla, with a sauna and a good dinner.

The following morning we were at Havrla quite early, he helped us lash the I3 back onto the trailer and then we started our journey home, which again took almost 12 hours, just like the outward journey.

All in all, this was a perfect service and the documentation attests to the professionalism of the work. We had complete confidence at all times. Of course, this upgrade and the whole process is a bit of an adventure and therefore not everyone's cup of tea, and it is also clear that if a total loss or theft occurs tomorrow, the costs of the upgrade will not be honoured by any insurance company. But we like the concept of the I3rex, it doesn't rust, makes a solid impression and with the new range it has a much wider area of use. We are looking forward to at least another 10 years.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Bild 2023-12-12 um 13.39.01_6b0b6bc1.jpg
    WhatsApp Bild 2023-12-12 um 13.39.01_6b0b6bc1.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 14
Upgrade experience

We were also at Havrla this week with our I3rex (60 Ah from 2014). We arranged the modalities for a used 120 Ah battery, questions and appointment in advance by email. As we had a 900 km journey from Switzerland to the Czech Republic, we preferred to rent a trailer, put the I3 on it and tow it to CZ with our second car, a Ford Ranger. Havrla is super nice and helpful, got to work during the night, also accommodated our trailer and in the morning we were supposed to pick up the I3 for our sightseeing tour to Prague. During the night he kept us up to date with pictures and videos of the progress of the work. He also noticed that the suspension strut bearing was making noises and I had to put up with the accusation that he would have repaired it if I had informed him in advance and he had been able to get the spare parts.

The range indicator showed almost 300 km in the morning (comfort mode, heated garage) and the journey to Prague (well worth seeing, by the way) and back (almost 100 km) only required ¼ of the capacity. We ended the day in our spa hotel Sen, just 9 km from Havrla, with a sauna and a good dinner.

The following morning we were at Havrla quite early, he helped us lash the I3 back onto the trailer and then we started our journey home, which again took almost 12 hours, just like the outward journey.

All in all, this was a perfect service and the documentation attests to the professionalism of the work. We had complete confidence at all times. Of course, this upgrade and the whole process is a bit of an adventure and therefore not everyone's cup of tea, and it is also clear that if a total loss or theft occurs tomorrow, the costs of the upgrade will not be honoured by any insurance company. But we like the concept of the I3rex, it doesn't rust, makes a solid impression and with the new range it has a much wider area of use. We are looking forward to at least another 10 years.
Hi, this sounds really interesting. We have a 2013 i3rex and I have been thinking of doing exactly this upgrade.
This Havrla you write about, is he a professional "Upgrader"?
Good luck with your improved i3!
/Gunnar

Havrla is a great professional bmw upgrader. He knows all about bmw i3 upgrade and he has all the necessary tools.

Havrla is a great professional bmw upgrader. He knows all about bmw i3 upgrade and he has all the necessary tools.
I confirm. He has all tools, software, qualification and the certificate from BMW to do this.

Last edited:
Perhaps a silly question here, but does anyone on this forum know of a shop that will upgrade my 60AH battery to a newer 120 in Canada or the Pacific North West? The Bimmer dealer in Victoria BC won't do it, they don't have the correct software, they say.

I thought it was only possible to do the upgrade to 90Ah, that was BMW told me, good that Havrla shop knows how to do it. does anyone has his email/website, I'm just 500km away so I can consider that.

Everything is great, I would love to have an upgrade to 120Ah Rex, but...
I have over 2000 km to Prague, including an English channel.:(

Back