USB audio port will not connect to iphone , ipad or anything

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumbledotcom

I've noticed similar behavior. You can't connect a single device using Bluetooth and USB simultaneously. Disable Bluetooth on the device, then attach via USB cable and it should show up.

Have you tried a different cable? You have to make sure it's not just a charge cable, as some of the cheaper ones you'll find are.

Change to Android... everything works just fine.
At home we have 4 androids...even a kindle fire from Amazon - and all work on Wifi as well as USB cable.

Did your USB stick have any LEDs? If so, did they light up when plugged in? The video of the DVDMotion's mods on USB show LEDs blinking. I have not tried anything but my iPod classic which works fine. Have not tried Bluetooth audio, but I had tried it when I did an extended test drive and it did not work from my iPhone 5s. I'd probably agree with changing to Android except due to the apps I've purchased, I'm tied to Apple for now.

That's your problem, try an aftermarket cable. I am not sure why, but I have had a couple of fails using the Apple cord that have been turned into saves with a different cable.

I transferred an MP4 sound file, a MOV video file, and a MPEG photo to a FAT32-formatted USB drive. I took the USB drive, my iPhone 5s with its Apple USB connector, and my 3rd-generation iPad with its Apple USB connector out to my i3 to do some testing. I turned off Bluetooth on my iPhone and iPad before plugging my USB drive into my i3's USB port. I was able to play the MP4 sound file and the sound track of the MOV video file, but I didn't discover any way to view the movie or the MPEG photo. I connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth and was still able to play the music file and the movie sound track on my USB drive. I was able to play music on my iPhone via Bluetooth and view my iPhone contacts while my USB drive was plugged into the USB port as well. I was also able to transfer my i3 profile to my USB drive while my iPhone was connected via Bluetooth.

So having simultaneous Bluetooth and USB connections did not cause any problems as some have suggested, even while using Apple cables, at least under iOS 8 on older iOS hardware.

I am confident that mobile devices running Android software with cables of unknown quality are far more likely to cause problems than Apple devices and cables because there are so many different versions of Android software running on so many different mobile devices of vastly varying quality.

KMP647 said:
genuine apple cable that came with my ipad air

Cables have been know to go bad regardless of the brand. It seemed to me you were saying that multiple devices (iPhone and iPad) did not connect via cable to multiple vehicles (i3 and 320i). Seems logical to at least try a different cable.

alohart said:
So having simultaneous Bluetooth and USB connections did not cause any problems as some have suggested, even while using Apple cables, at least under iOS 8 on older iOS hardware.

Yes, you can have USB and Bluetooth at the same time if they are different devices. What will not work is streaming music via Bluetooth from one device, say an iPhone, and connecting to that same iPhone via USB. You can use Bluetooth for phone functions and music via USB but you have to fiddle with the Bluetooth settings (disable music streaming).

I discovered this when trying to work around a known bug in the iOS 8 Bluetooth that interferes with playlists and podcasts. It's intermittent and infuriating. Some BMW owners report issues with phone calls as well. Luckily I've yet to run into the call bug with either the i3 or e90. It's an Apple-created problem though. IOS 7 Bluetooth works flawlessly.

KMP647 said:
I noticed some of the songs on my usb display album art but not many
Does anyone know why.
I noticed that as well. I have downloaded all of the available album art on all my songs in iTunes, but for some of my songs, no album art is available. I'm guessing that if you have downloaded album art in iTunes so that it is on your iPhone or iPad, the i3 will display it. But for those songs with no downloaded album art, maybe the i3 won't try to fetch the album art over the Internet as iTunes does, so none will be displayed.

I had the same problem. USB port worked once then would no longer recognize either a device connected by cable or a USB drive. Took a picture of the socket with my phone camera and I could see one of the pins was damaged. Dealer replaced the USB connector assembly and all good now. Never thought I would say 'my car is in the shop because the USB connector isn't working' !

Back