VW Golf wins Motor Trend 'Car of the Year'

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't doubt that the Golf family makes an excellent COTY choice. Though the Motor Trend award does have a checkered history (2002 Ford Thunderbird, 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser). And the selection at times has been rumored to have more than a casual connection to the manufacturer's advertising dollar commitment to the magazine.

Still I don't see the e-Golf and i3 as true competitors. FWD vs. RWD. Steel vs. aluminum/CFRP construction. Mainstream vs. premium positioning and pricing.

If anything, the e-Golf and Leaf are more likely to compete since on paper they have so many similarities, including curb weight. VWoA has finally published the e-Golf specs. Its 3,400 lbs. is significantly more than the i3's 2,800.

I'm of the opinion, at least for non-rex buyers, that it directly competes with the i3

1. The Golf is number 1 in compacts/affordable small cars in a number of reviews other than Motor Trend eg US News, insideevs etc

2. Only 300-400 lbs of the weight difference is aluminum frame/carbon body but this comes at a high i3 cost. The e-Golf uses high strength layered steel panels which narrows the weight difference somewhat. 200 lbs is due to the bigger 26.4 kwh battery, partially because of the carbon weight but also partially due to being a bigger car. 10" longer, 40% more cargo, 2 full rear doors, and you can see the hood. So the heavier weight for me is an advantage, not a disadvantage as I'm getting a bigger car

3. I'm not sure FWD vs RWD is a decision maker

4. What makes the e-Golf competitive besides being normal looking is it's fully loaded....CCS, leatherette, parking assist, heated and partial powered seats, SIRI radio, etc....all options on the i3. For me, at least, premium pricing prices it out of the market

5. The German e-golf forum has none of the problems posted I'm watching pop up here. The discussion is almost all delivery, charging, oem wheel etc with none on range, check lights, software updates etc. Nobody appears to ever had the car in for service

Ron

cove3 said:
I'm of the opinion, at least for non-rex buyers, that it directly competes with the i3

As an electric car, the e-Golf does, sure, it's not like there is a huge selection of EV's and the two cars are not worlds apart in size and capacity. It is a more conventional car with a conventional heritage based on steel and standard Golf construction though. If it's also cheaper than the i3 then there will be a reason for that; it plays in a different section of the market. It also will not compete in the same construction technology market as the i3 but some part of the potential purchasers will not care of consider the differences.

I currently have a Golf, and have had it for 10 years (MkIV) No complaints. The e-Golf should be good too. Just bear in mind that Motor Trend is giving the award to the Golf 'Family' of cars, not the e-Golf. Unfortunately, last I heard VW Australia is not bringing the e-Golf here.

Bottom line is it's great that the range of EV's is increasing all the time. Choice is good!

cove3 said:
3. I'm not sure FWD vs RWD is a decision maker

The things you cite as Golf advantages—normal, larger, steel—are disadvantages from my point of view. But the fact that you apparently don't understand/care about the superior dynamics inherent in a RWD platform with 50/50 weight distribution tells me further discussion is pointless. We must agree to disagree.

1. i3 weight distribution is 47/53 front/rear in the BEV and 44/56 in REX. The e-Golf is 49/51

2. All the e-Golf reviews mention the cars handling and near equal weight distribution " the e-Golf is closer to the 50:50 ideal than any other Golf variant" "battery is installed centrally in the vehicle floor w/low center of gravity with optimal weight distribution and results in very good handling".

3. The advantages you dislike...larger, steel, normal, FWD have to consider the i3 is $10,000 MSRP more expensive and is 4 passenger due to the hump for the drive shaft

4. The upshot is that front-wheel drive is better for most vehicles. The exception is in high performance race cars, where rear wheel drive is better. (Even many "sports cars" are front wheel drive.)
http://askville.amazon.com/Front-wh...es-benefits/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=3870339

Ron
own 525i, 528e, owned 2800CS, 3.0CS, 2002, xke v12

cove3 said:
...the i3 is $10,000 MSRP more expensive and is 4 passenger due to the hump for the drive shaft...
Just so you know, there is no driveshaft. The electric motor is placed directly above the rear axle. The floor of the car is nearly flat across the front and back seating areas, and the "hump" in the rear bench seat is minimal. 3 could fit in the back seat in a pinch, but the middle occupant would not have a seat belt.

You are correct. It doesn't appear RWD has anything to do with the i3 being a 4 person car. Rather, although the hump is minimal, the plastic cup holder assembly, lack of seat belts and lack of head rests precludes anyone sitting in the middle.

The e-Golf has the center seat belts and headrests and done away with cup holders unless they're in an area I can't see in the images

Ron

Back