What Car? BMW i3 long-termer

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnmcilroy said:
I'm wondering, would any owners be interested in a meet-up that we could then feature editorially in What Car? If there's enough interest then we could have it here at our offices (which have three or four 32A chargers, so people could juice up while they're here).

We're based in Teddington, south-west London - would anyone be interested in a summer evening get-together? Couple of restaurants right next door etc…?

Kind regards,

John

Yes I'd be in (i3 BEV) - could get to Teddington & back from here (have done Ealing before no probe). No affiliation to BMW, ex racer, loving the electric experience. Keep me posted

Fred

John count me in for a meet late July/August , not at all concerned about coming down from nottingham now that I know how to charge up myi3 with ecotricity. (Tilt plug upwards)

I'm also disappointed with the drive setting reverting back to comfort every time you switch off. I also found the handling a little hair-raising. I had to avoid a dead badger doing 70mph and the car did not half wobble/twitch. It was very unstable and it took me by surprise. I wonder if the sunroof adds to the top heavy instability of the car? I was even thinking whether it has the same issue as the original Merc A class.

johnmcilroy said:
I'm wondering, would any owners be interested in a meet-up that we could then feature editorially in What Car? If there's enough interest then we could have it here at our offices (which have three or four 32A chargers, so people could juice up while they're here).

We're based in Teddington, south-west London - would anyone be interested in a summer evening get-together? Couple of restaurants right next door etc…?

Kind regards,

John

Count me in.... is 84 miles to you mostly motorway, can top up on route but would be perfect to grab a few hours from your type 2. Look forward to meeting yall. If we can get reps to come along, and maybe a genius or two... maybe even an i8!

johnmcilroy said:

Kind regards,

John

I'd be up for a meet too, be good to compare notes!

My spec. is on the signature below.

It would be nice to meet other i3 owners and actually see another physical i3.

I have only ever seen and driven my own i3. I never test drove or even viewed one before ordering mine.

It is most strange to be driving, what is for me, a totally unique car.

jamesvdv said:

It would be nice to meet other i3 owners and actually see another physical i3.r.

Yes, but given the abysmally long wait and the delays how many people actually own one in the UK at the moment? :cry: In fact very tempted to cancel my order and buy the one for sale in Autotrader that is linked on another thread!

MikeS said:
jamesvdv said:

It would be nice to meet other i3 owners and actually see another physical i3.r.

Yes, but given the abysmally long wait and the delays how many people actually own one in the UK at the moment? :cry: In fact very tempted to cancel my order and buy the one for sale in Autotrader that is linked on another thread!

There is also a white one for sale at Stratsone in Derby....

Looks like we could get four or five peeps here, which would be a good start. Perhaps other prospective owners could come along anyway via 'conventional' transport - a good opportunity to meet those who are already running the car, and get a good look around different examples?

I'm thinking of a date in late June - probably a week night (Thursday or Friday?).

Regards to all,

John

I seriously thought about that for two minutes. Could have lived with the storm trooper colours. Mrs G hates the two tone. Hence the Laurus grey to get as close as possible to invisible black.

However it doesn't have all the options........mmmmmmm

johnmcilroy said:
Looks like we could get four or five peeps here, which would be a good start. Perhaps other prospective owners could come along anyway via 'conventional' transport - a good opportunity to meet those who are already running the car, and get a good look around different examples?

I'm thinking of a date in late June - probably a week night (Thursday or Friday?).

Regards to all,

John

Not expecting you to set the date round me (!), but I'll be at the Festival of Speed on Thursday 26 June.

johnmcilroy said:

Regards to all,

John

Yes from me - 26th or 27th are OK, although we'll need a widescreen TV to watch South Korea v Belgium on the Friday ;) .

Regards
Fred

Okay, so I haven't quite managed to get this sorted for June. It'll be in late July, I'd say.

In the meantime, one of my colleagues here has posted an update on how he took our car to the new Ecotricity DC point at Cobham services. We reckon we must have been one of the first to use it...

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/june/1297888

johnmcilroy said:
Okay, so I haven't quite managed to get this sorted for June. It'll be in late July, I'd say.

In the meantime, one of my colleagues here has posted an update on how he took our car to the new Ecotricity DC point at Cobham services. We reckon we must have been one of the first to use it...

Thanks for sharing that John.

So neither Zapmap, nor OpenchargeMap show points at Cobham services. The Ecotricity point says it is an AC/DC type which prior to the CCS I would have taken to mean a Chademo DC and an 3 phase AC, so I guess that Ecotricity's map is also out of date.

I've been waiting for a DC rapid charge around there so I can make a trip to SE London, but it also means that I will be able to make any i3 meet up in the SW London area.

There so needs to be a reliable source of information about charger locations!

Bill

I believe ecotricity are in the process of updating their website to split out CCS. I also asked them about if they are going to offer up a data feed / API for consumption by the various map providers and they said they were working on that too.

johnmcilroy said:

I won't be getting mine until November :( but I'd be interested in the catch up.

Back