Whats holding all the I3 REx at the port?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently the US EPA require that to be rated an EV ish the fuel capacity has to be less than the declared battery range. Otherwise it isn't a true backup facility and therefore would be rated as a Hybrid. Something like that.

Apart from a confusion over Imp and US galls the view is that the 1.9Imp/9l fuel tanks are being removed and replaced by 1.9US gallon tanks at the port. Which is smaller to come within the 81 mile range declared. If BMW had been expecting a higher range assessment that change would not have been required.

As you can see typical room for misinformation conspiracy theory and sheer beaurachratic lunacy. Take your pick.

I can't see that I'd want a re-engineered system fixed at the port?

The battery range vs. fuel capacity issue is a California requirement, not EPA. And the i3 REX already has received the California Air Resources Board (CARB) classification as a Transitional Zero Emissions Vehicle (TZEV).

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm#vehicles

http://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project

Because the hold seems to be national I'd guess it's a mundane paperwork or bureaucratic delay at the Department of Transportation (DOT), EPA or maybe even Customs. The fact that BMW got CARB to grant the REX the full $2500 rebate with the green HOV sticker (most plug-in hybrids with green stickers only get $1500) shows they had the design issues covered.

Thank you for the real story. It's always better than the fiction.

We still don't have a report from a US Rex owner to say how much they fuelled up with?1.9 US or 2.4US?

There's going to be some debate if it proves that it was a NASA style units mistake on those original reports.

Many of those i3 REx vehicles aren't destined for California, and so CARB BEVx standards aren't even relevant. Mine's headed to Seattle as soon as they release it.

If anyone knows what government agency is causing the holdup, I'd like to give them a call. My guess is that it's the EPA still working on fuel economy ratings.

Enjoying my three day test drive today....it's in a lettered Rex. Already ran down to 3 miles and then I thought? What's that humming I can just hear over the air con....oops it's the Rex.

Would have had the BEV for a week but it's gone to a corporate and was on charge when I got there. No type 2 cable so charging off the 13amp. It seems to be drawing between 2.2 and 2.7kw. Won't stay on charge if I lock it. Need to read manual now that I have one to play with. I was just thinking I could top the tank up and answer all these questions.....then I thought doh I am in UK silly me. :shock: :lol:

There are 10 CARB states in the US and no manufacturer will introduce two different models of the same car nowadays...
As for the delay, I read on Tom's blog that as strange as it sounds, EPA was done testing the i3 weeks ago and it is BMW holding the cars in transit. Nobody knows why, the smaller tanks are already replaced and new cars with them are also getting stuck in ports in the US.

bxb40 said:
There are 10 CARB states in the US and no manufacturer will introduce two different models of the same car nowadays...
As for the delay, I read on Tom's blog that as strange as it sounds, EPA was done testing the i3 weeks ago and it is BMW holding the cars in transit. Nobody knows why, the smaller tanks are already replaced and new cars with them are also getting stuck in ports in the US.
We got word today from BMW spokesman Dave Buchko, that the REx cars will be released by the end of the week. The EPA finished their certification last week and BMW still needed to do a few other regulatory filings and print the Monroney stickers. All is done now and the cars will begin shipping to dealers by weeks end.

TomMoloughney said:
We got word today from BMW spokesman Dave Buchko, that the REx cars will be released by the end of the week. The EPA finished their certification last week and BMW still needed to do a few other regulatory filings and print the Monroney stickers. All is done now and the cars will begin shipping to dealers by weeks end.

Hi Tom, can you hold your breath that much longer ? :lol:

Kind regards, Steven

Very exciting - looks like the first batch of i3 REx will be released from the ports today :D :D
http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-rex-cleared-us-deliveries-first-delivery-set-later-today/

Back