Which Tyres

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc1

Hi Which tyres have yours been delivered with?

Given there can be big differences in rolling resistance, noise, etc.

I think I'm right in thinking the standard wheels have 155/70 R19 all round, but the "turbine-spoke style 428" have different widths; 155/70 19" on the front and 175/60 19" on the rear?

The only 175/60s I have found are Bridgestone EP500 Ecopia 86Q (*) TL, which apparently are rated (Fuel Eff.: B Wet Grip: B NoiseClass: 2: 69dB)...which seems OK,

For the 155/70s, it seems Bridgestone have the same and some other products, and there's also a Continental product (CST17 155/70 R19 113 M), which seems aimed at the 'get you home' / 'space saver spare' market, but I haven't found and performance specifications.

I'm wondering what they're coming delivered with, what experiences people have had and whether I should try to get the dealer to ensure a certain tyre before delivery?

Hi kc,

there is absolutely no choice in tyre manufacturer (yet). The tyres are made specificaly for the i3 by Bridgestone. The only choises are summer 155's all around (BEV only), summer 155 front/ 175 rear (BEV optional, REx standard) and winter 155's all around for BEV and REx.

Regards, Steven

Best tires for max mileage in summer weather ? Rain traction? At temps near and below freezing.the only tires to use have the mountain and snowflake symbol to indicate they are a true winter tire. All seasons are a cruel joke on ice and snow.

buickanddeere said:
Best tires for max mileage in summer weather ? Rain traction? At temps near and below freezing.the only tires to use have the mountain and snowflake symbol to indicate they are a true winter tire. All seasons are a cruel joke on ice and snow.

Highly disagree, I have not purchased snow tires in the last 30 years, run on all season tires winter and summer, no problems even when I have to drive to Chicago. Pick the right all season tire, not all of them are anywhere close to equal in their winter performance on ice and snow. Do your homework, dedicated winter tires are no longer needed except maybe out west or in Alaska. Check out the tire rack tire reviews by the customers, it is a real big eye opener.

Buying separate tires and wheels is an unnecessary (very expensive) expense and a pain in the ass.

All season are always compromised - not max efficiency nor max grip in mud and snow.

The i3 Bridgestones are more of a summer compound and hence the winter option.

Winter tyres have a far higher % of actual rubber in the compound which means they help you stop up to 3 times less distance than all season tyres.

Have swapped mine for past 12 years despite mild UK winters - and it really makes a huge difference. (Audi A2 145/90R14 Bridgestone B381 ECO tyres in summer and Blizzaks same size in Winter).

ecoangel said:
All season are always compromised - not max efficiency nor max grip in mud and snow.

Winter tyres have a far higher % of actual rubber in the compound which means they help you stop up to 3 times less distance than all season tyres.

Have swapped mine for past 12 years despite mild UK winters - and it really makes a huge difference. (Audi A2 145/90R14 Bridgestone B381 ECO tyres in summer and Blizzaks same size in Winter).

There is not a huge difference at all, and in the UK I can't for the life of me figure why you would need winter tires at all.
The difference is minimal at the most, like I said earlier I have not needed winter tires for over 30 years now. In the USA in Ohio we do have considerable snow and dedicated winter tires are a waste of money. It is very costly to keep a second set of rims and tires for winter and it is not necessary at all with the current mix of all season tires. They are quite capable in winter and summer. You are throwing money down the drain if you buy winter tires.

mindmachine said:
buickanddeere said:

Highly disagree, I have not purchased snow tires in the last 30 years, run on all season tires winter and summer, no problems even when I have to drive to Chicago. Pick the right all season tire, not all of them are anywhere close to equal in their winter performance on ice and snow. Do your homework, dedicated winter tires are no longer needed except maybe out west or in Alaska. Check out the tire rack tire reviews by the customers, it is a real big eye opener.

Buying separate tires and wheels is an unnecessary (very expensive) expense and a pain in the ass.

I disagree and the stats are there to prove it. Plus I'm not so cheap to save a few bucks on a set of rims for winter. Real winter tires have dramatically shorter stopping distances of 1-2 or more vehicle lengths shorter from 30mph. The difference from stopping or having a wreck. Do 't bother telling me either that you are a careful driver and don't need the reduced stopping distance. Such poppycock.

mindmachine said:
ecoangel said:

There is not a huge difference at all, and in the UK I can't for the life of me figure why you would need winter tires at all.
The difference is minimal at the most, like I said earlier I have not needed winter tires for over 30 years now. In the USA in Ohio we do have considerable snow and dedicated winter tires are a waste of money. It is very costly to keep a second set of rims and tires for winter and it is not necessary at all with the current mix of all season tires. They are quite capable in winter and summer. You are throwing money down the drain if you buy winter tires.

I'm well aware of human nature and trying to make a point . I've also noted you worship at the alter of money. Given the number of times you have mentioned finances in some manner. Now if in the hospital or flying commercial aircraft . You would be the first one to complain and yell the loudest if a cheap one size fits all substitute was used in a critical area.
The only proponents of all season tires I have ever seen #1 don't know any better. #2 are broke and can't find the $ for tires. Or #3 they are cheap.
As for the rest of the forum readers. Real winter tires with the snowflake and mountain symbol reduce the chance of a wreck and injury via superior traction when near or below freezing temps.
Next you will tell us your superior driving skills more than compensate for any difference between AS and WT tires.
Penny wise and pound foolish.
We just had a engineer at work cost us well into 5 figures for emergency heating equipment to prevent pipes from freezing. The engineer had saved a few hundred dollars running a 200 amp circuit a whole ten feet out to the generator receptacle from the 600 amp transfer switch. He figured we would only schedual outages during spring, summer and fall.
Should have seen him scramble to justify himself . He is still telling us he did not make a mistake.

buickanddeere said:
mindmachine said:
ecoangel said:

I'm well aware of human nature and trying to make a point . I've also noted you worship at the alter of money. Given the number of times you have mentioned finances in some manner. Now if in the hospital or flying commercial aircraft . You would be the first one to complain and yell the loudest if a cheap one size fits all substitute was used in a critical area.
The only proponents of all season tires I have ever seen #1 don't know any better. #2 are broke and can't find the $ for tires. Or #3 they are cheap.
As for the rest of the forum readers. Real winter tires with the snowflake and mountain symbol reduce the chance of a wreck and injury via superior traction when near or below freezing temps.
Next you will tell us your superior driving skills more than compensate for any difference between AS and WT tires.
Penny wise and pound foolish.
We just had a engineer at work cost us well into 5 figures for emergency heating equipment to prevent pipes from freezing. The engineer had saved a few hundred dollars running a 200 amp circuit a whole ten feet out to the generator receptacle from the 600 amp transfer switch. He figured we would only schedual outages during spring, summer and fall.
Should have seen him scramble to justify himself . He is still telling us he did not make a mistake.

Well money is not the problem, to me it is the pain in the ass of having extra wheels and tires taking up space and the pain in the ass of getting them changed back and forth twice a year. I take exception with your attitude expressed in your 3 reasons for being a proponent of all season tires. Anyway I am a professional engineer and I understand how snow tires work and what they can do, but I will say again you do not need them but then again maybe you don't know how to drive in the snow and people who aren't careful enough and or don't know how to drive should probably have them.
Yes I fully understand dedicated snow tires do offer some additional safety considerations, stopping distance for example.
I used to think I needed snow tires and bought many over the years, but today all season tire designs have come a long way and winter tires are a waste of time and money in many areas of the USA.
I am accident free for over 38 years now, and I used to drive all over the Midwest when I was still working. I was driving typically 30,000 miles a year in all seasons and much of my driving has been to Chicago in the winter also all over Ohio and Pennsylvania too. NO SNOW TIRES NEEDED. Learn how to drive. If you can't master winter driving skills, then by snow tires by all means, they do help.

The UK has some of the most variable weather on the planet. Yes the last winter was wet and windy but the 2 previous ones were much colder with significant snowfall (by British standards). More rubber content means far better grip below 12 deg C in ALL conditions.

Cost? hardly an issue because even the A2's Bridgstones cost $60 each fitted and if you only use them for 1/3 to 1/2 the year then the summer tyres get less wear - so it's just not an issue. The car, like the i3, only came with 4 magnesium wheels - so to have another set is no hardship as one act as a spare wheel in the trunk - try that with a 19 inch i3 rim! So 3x 145/14 wheels in a garage isn't taking up much space.

The race car uses Yokohama rubber which has about 50 temperature cycles per tyre usage - they actually degrade in sunlight and pressure settings have a massive impact on grip. We measure temps after each practice at 3 points across the width of each tyre to determine corner pressure settings for the race.

All tyres go off with time - even road ones. And tyre walls are just as improtant as tread depth.

As we say over here "everyone is entitled to their ignorance" and I don't claim to know it all but hopefully offer some useful tips from time to time!

Anyone who thinks winter tires are not necessary has never really driven in actual snow and ice in winter!

All seasons are a complete and utter joke if you have any kind of snow or ice covering the road. Unless you like white-knuckled driving and sliding around that is -- if that's your idea of 'no problem', then go ahead and save yourself the cost of winters.

Otherwise, if you actually value being able to brake without drama -- this is the real issue, by the way, braking; not traction.
Then snows are a HIGHLY smart investment.

Keep in mind your all seasons will last 2x as long, so it's not really a 'waste' of money to get snows. And you can swap them yourself if you get separate rims.

Think of it this way -- even a minor fender/bender accident will cost you more than a set of winters. Not worth it!

Surge said:
Anyone who thinks winter tires are not necessary has never really driven in actual snow and ice in winter!

All seasons are a complete and utter joke if you have any kind of snow or ice covering the road. Unless you like white-knuckled driving and sliding around that is -- if that's your idea of 'no problem', then go ahead and save yourself the cost of winters.

Otherwise, if you actually value being able to brake without drama -- this is the real issue, by the way, braking; not traction.
Then snows are a HIGHLY smart investment.

Keep in mind your all seasons will last 2x as long, so it's not really a 'waste' of money to get snows. And you can swap them yourself if you get separate rims.

Think of it this way -- even a minor fender/bender accident will cost you more than a set of winters. Not worth it!

Total rubbish.

Back