Who manufactures the REX W20 engine?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivingBetterThurEV

According to the BMW service manual, section 12 W20 Engine, page 4, the REX engine, Engine designation "W20K06U0" - the first identifier "W" = "Third-party engine".
Question: Who manufactures this third-party engine?
I assumed that this was from a 650cc BMW motorcycle/motor scooter engine - but the designator states third-party.

LivingBetterThurEV said:
According to the BMW service manual, section 12 W20 Engine, page 4, the REX engine, Engine designation "W20K06U0" - the first identifier "W" = "Third-party engine".
Question: Who manufactures this third-party engine?
I assumed that this was from a 650cc BMW motorcycle/motor scooter engine - but the designator states third-party.

I don't know for sure who make this engine, but it's a fact that BMW got many 650cc and later 800cc motors from Rotax, an Austrian company that also makes light aircraft engines. And the BMW 650 was originally entirely made in Italy by Aprilia with that Rotax engine. No BMW employee or factory was involved, just the engineers/designers.
Some BMW engines are being made in China, I believe.

When I asked the dealer if it were the Rotax Beamer F-series 650 engine, he affirmed that. Rotax of Austria is now owned by Bombardier of Canada and makes their snowmobile engines etc. BMW diesel engines are made by Steyr Motors, Austria. It seems I have read both of these details in trade press as well; although, I have heard it referred to as a "scooter" engine; but at 650, that would be a very healthy scooter.

Actually, I am wondering if the i8 three-cylinder engine is a bored out K-75!

BUMWA said:
When I asked the dealer if it were the Rotax Beamer F-series 650 engine

Hi,

it could be that the engine has some roots in the Rotax unit, but the actual REx engine supposedly stems from the BMW C 650 GT motor scooter. Google if interested in details.
The i8 engine is a souped up 1.5 litre turbocharged unit currently fitted in the '14 Mini Cooper. It's a brand new engine.

Regards, Steven

BUMWA said:
When I asked the dealer if it were the Rotax Beamer F-series 650 engine, he affirmed that. Rotax of Austria is now owned by Bombardier of Canada and makes their snowmobile engines etc. BMW diesel engines are made by Steyr Motors, Austria. It seems I have read both of these details in trade press as well; although, I have heard it referred to as a "scooter" engine; but at 650, that would be a very healthy scooter.

I'm not sure if this can be true - I think the older F650 motor was originally a 650cc single, and the newer F650GS motor is 800cc twin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_F650_single
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_GS_parallel-twin

I'm sure the REx is from the C650 scooter, and thus manufactured by Kymco.

It doesn't matter anyway, it will be a BMW design and specification, many manufacturers contract out large component assemblies (particularly on low volume vehicles) to other companies.

Thanks for all the feedback and interesting discussion. I agree, it doesn't matter so much, since BMW engineering directed the specs.
We never heard the Rex turn on before until last Saturday driving to a family get together. The level 2 charging rates (best was at 4.7 kWh) extended our total trip time trying to return home and "stay electric". With the wife driving, this stressed her out watching the battery go to --.-- miles remaining and no little motor sound for a short distance. :roll:

Doing a little internet research with that information: (attached some text from the article)
See http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20130107000050&cid=1102
2013-01-07 "Kwang Yang Motor Company, Taiwan's leading motorcycle maker better known as Kymco, is moving into car production with a large contract production order for BMW's new i3 electric car power system, according to various overseas media outlets. Kymco is expected to begin shipping units to BMW in the first quarter this year in line with the German automakers scheduled mid-year rollout of the model. Kymco refused to comment on the report, possibly due to confidentially......The contract to produce the i3's power system will pave the way for it to secure orders from BMW for production of key components and parts of other models.....Profits for the contract production of the power system of i3 electric car of BMW aer expected to be modest , as the design and technology will both provided by BMW, but it represents the first step for Kymco to claw back some of its lost earnings through producing car components..."

Back