Why does Hyundai have a better MPGe?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also don't buy the "grid to wheels" explanation for the Whatcar test. The charging losses may account for no more than 10% of the overall consumption.
The heating losses could've contributed to the test from Norway. I don't know how efficient the BMW heat pump is (I know that heat pumps don't work well in the extreme cold), but the thin i3 glass probably has a low insulating value.

FWIW, it does make a difference whether you're talking about a BEV or a REx...the REx only has resistance heating...the BEV has both, but only will use resistance heating if it is too cold for a reasonable temperature rise. The factory MPGe for the two models are different for partly that reason, and to account for the REx being heavier by a bit over 300#. The MPGe went down a bit when the larger battery came aboard, mostly because it is heavier. While weight on a flat road doesn't matter, it does take more energy to get there, and on a hill, it can add up fast.

Back