Window tint

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miyanc

Anyone else have poor transparency in direct sunlight? Is it a bmw thing or were these aftermarket issues. Never noticed it this much on older other cars.

Lots of glare. Hazyness. Like they are fogged. I will be back in the car this afternoon I will post a picture.
When the top of the dashboard is illuminated by sunlight, its reflection in the lower part of the windshield can impair visibility. I've considered covering the top of the dashboard with a solid black covering, but my eyes adjust to the reflection quickly enough that I haven't done anything to reduce the problem.

Any salt, dirt, road grime, etc., film on either side of the windshield can impair visibility when sunlight is on the windshield, maybe more so in an i3 because of the angle of the windshield. Cleaning the large windshield well, especially the inside, can be difficult.

When the top of the dashboard is illuminated by sunlight, its reflection in the lower part of the windshield can impair visibility. I've considered covering the top of the dashboard with a solid black covering, but my eyes adjust to the reflection quickly enough that I haven't done anything to reduce the problem.

Any salt, dirt, road grime, etc., film on either side of the windshield can impair visibility when sunlight is on the windshield, maybe more so in an i3 because of the angle of the windshield. Cleaning the large windshield well, especially the inside, can be difficult.
See my post in "What did you do today.

This is not the front windscreen. I am referring to the side windows. I am not sure how dumb I would have to be to not realize dirt, salt and other substances wouldn't improve transparency. So yes a cleaner window has more visibility..........

With almost 2000 miles on the car I don't see any issues with reflecting sunlight thru the front. The only thing I notice is the curve of the black hood ( the part that wraps around and faces me) does sometime make me think I see something.

I forgot to take pictures yesterday and will try today.

Also the streaks left by opening and closing the windows add to the problem.

I must be pretty dumb not to realize that the slope of the i3's windshield can make visibility through it more difficult than with our previous vehicles with more upright windshields. However, that doesn't bother you. Your original post was so vague that it was difficult for dumb people like me to understand what you meant.

I've owned 2 i3's since 2014. Over almost 10 years of ownership, neither has had foggy, hazy side windows except after being parked for several days in our salty, humid environment which leaves a salt film on the window glass. Also, neither has had tint film installed which might be the source of the problem you're experiencing. No streaks on the glass have been caused by opening and closing clean windows. However, window tint film could have been scratched.

You haven't bothered to add your location to your profile, so none of us knows whether yours is a European i3 that might have the optional darker window glass and thus less likelihood of window tint film being added or an i3 from other markets where darker window glass wasn't an option and where window tint film might have been added.

Last edited:
I must be pretty dumb not to realize that the slope of the i3's windshield can make visibility through it more difficult than with our previous vehicles with more upright windshields. However, that doesn't bother you. Your original post was so vague that it was difficult for dumb people like me to understand what you meant.

I've owned 2 i3's since 2014. Over almost 10 years of ownership, neither has had foggy, hazy side windows except after being parked for several days in our salty, humid environment which leaves a salt film on the window glass. Also, neither has had tint film installed which might be the source of the problem you're experiencing. No streaks on the glass have been caused by opening and closing clean windows. However, window tint film could have been scratched.

You haven't bothered to add your location to your profile, so none of us knows whether yours is a European i3 that might have the optional darker window glass and thus less likelihood of window tint film being added or an i3 from other markets where darker window glass wasn't an option and where window tint film might have been added.
In some posts I try to be specific and am told tldr. So I tried to be brief. Yes the very top of the front window has ombre tint. But I assumed by talking about window tint, the side windows would be the topic.

I have tried a few times to not crash and take photos, but my camera keeps making the pictures better then they are.
I do believe it's the tint. Again not sure if it's original or aftermarket. Seems fine most of the time. But noticable if not distracting when it's at the right angle.

I assumed by talking about window tint, the side windows would be the topic.
It's not an entirely simple subject, because the rules in Europe on window tinting are strict. The permitted tint is very low for front (side) windows, and most countries do not allow aftermarket tints (mainly because of danger to motorcycle riders after dark).

So... it's almost certain that if you have a tint that is in any way dark, it will be aftermarket. If it were mine, I would have it stripped off and replaced (or maybe stripped off and not replaced, depending on local conditions).

It's not an entirely simple subject, because the rules in Europe on window tinting are strict. The permitted tint is very low for front (side) windows, and most countries do not allow aftermarket tints (mainly because of danger to motorcycle riders after dark).

So... it's almost certain that if you have a tint that is in any way dark, it will be aftermarket. If it were mine, I would have it stripped off and replaced (or maybe stripped off and not replaced, depending on local conditions).
Many US states have strict tinting rules on the books, but, like rear-view mirror tree regulations, they're only intended to be actually enforced in certain situations.

Many US states have strict tinting rules on the books, but, like rear-view mirror tree regulations, they're only intended to be actually enforced in certain situations.
Understood - my point about "Europe" was pretty generic and depends on exactly how you define what Europe is. I suspect that in some parts of Europe you would have to be pretty unlucky to get stopped for having tinted windows!

But... your answer raises an important (for me) question: What the heck are "rear-view mirror tree regulations"???

Understood - my point about "Europe" was pretty generic and depends on exactly how you define what Europe is. I suspect that in some parts of Europe you would have to be pretty unlucky to get stopped for having tinted windows!

But... your answer raises an important (for me) question: What the heck are "rear-view mirror tree regulations"???
Junk hanging from the rear view mirror obstructing drivers view forward.

ALL US States have rules for tinted windows and which windows can have tint installed.

The “certain” situations are if it exceeds the law in the particular State you’re in, you get a “fix-it” ticket and the vehicle can be towed (not operated on public roads until the condition is remedied) - no different than operating a vehicle without a rear bumper or having tires which protrude from the sides of the vehicle, or operating without mudflaps when the vehicle is higher than a certain height or having something hanging from your rear view mirror which could obstruct your forward vision - even for a moment causing you to hit a pedestrian or another vehicle.

Here’s a good reference and densities allowed by State: (ALL States have window tint density rules and they are enforced - usually during a traffic stop)

https://www.laser-labs.com/tint-law...LdeUkHaRNJlpTLSi7xtTAgTBBeMmgWhRoCTYMQAvD_BwE

And…if one hits a pedestrian or has an accident which has injury, guess what! The other parties lawyer and prosecutors could have a “hey-day” with the driver with tinted windows that exceeded the legal allowed limit in the State!

Last edited:
Back