Winter tires and Rial wheels

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMoloughney

I just ordered my winter tires and a set of Rial wheels for my i3. I have the 20" sport wheels with summer tires so it was necessary for me to get winter tires as I live in Northern New Jersey. I like the look of the Rial wheels and the Blizzak tires have gotten good reviews by i3 owners that had their cars last winter.

I have some pics and a blog post here for those interested:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/11/bmw-i3-tires-get-ready-for-winter.html

Hi
I am facing a similar problem of no 20 inch winter tires. Perhaps you can help me with two questions:
1) Do you find that the speedometer is upset by switching from 20 inch wheels to 19 inch wheels. I have no idea whether the i3 can compensate for the 5% change in wheel circumference that would result from a tire radius change? As I often drive close to the limit :) I rely on the speedo to keep me on the right side of the law.
2) How much did you pay for the Rial wheels and winter tires. My BMW dealer is offering a set of winter tires mounted on new wheels for $2100 CDN. I am wondering if there is a lower cost way to go.
Thanks for your insights and advice.
Colin

On ANY vehicle, it is designed for one rolling circumference of the wheel/tire package. A smaller diameter tire will have the same (or within a percent or so) of the larger diameter tire because they specify a different aspect ratio. This means that the odometer, speedometer, and ultimately the gearing remains identical, regardless of which (correct) wheel/tire package you choose. IOW, a 19" tire will have a taller sidewall than one specified to fit on a 20" wheel on the same car.

Now, there could be some fitment issues with non-OEM wheels, such as differences in the center hub, the offset of the horizontal mounting plane with the relative edges of the tires (offset - move it too far and the assembly may sit too close to the suspension or other bits and either jam or rub, move it to far out, and you change the track and the load on the bearings and probably the alignment).

So, if you pick one of the tire sizes specified for the i3, and the wheel fits, you will not have any issues you're worried about.

colinfwi said:
Hi
I am facing a similar problem of no 20 inch winter tires. Perhaps you can help me with two questions:
1) Do you find that the speedometer is upset by switching from 20 inch wheels to 19 inch wheels. I have no idea whether the i3 can compensate for the 5% change in wheel circumference that would result from a tire radius change? As I often drive close to the limit :) I rely on the speedo to keep me on the right side of the law.
2) How much did you pay for the Rial wheels and winter tires. My BMW dealer is offering a set of winter tires mounted on new wheels for $2100 CDN. I am wondering if there is a lower cost way to go.
Thanks for your insights and advice.
Colin

The wheel and tire package, along with the TPS was a little over $1,900. As explained above, the speedo is still accurate because the overall diameter remain very close to the stock wheels & tires. The 20's have lower profile tires.

The list price of the BMW winter tire package is about $200 less, and you may be able to negotiate a discount. If a TPMS fails, it's a BMW warranty thing. Now, the wheel is pretty plain IMHO, but is forged, therefore likely stronger than a cast one, and lighter. Anyone with the 20" performance option on the i3 that lives where it gets cold and or wintery should seriously consider a set of winter tires.

I contemplated and even called Tire Rack, but could get no information on the finish of the after-market (Rial) wheels. I have had two high-grade after-market winter wheel sets for my 540 and 545 and have been really disappointed at the post-third season pitting and corrosion (and loss of bead-seal) on their after-market wheels. Thus, though I dislike BMW's cookie-cutter-me-too-hybrid-econobox wheels, I chose them for longevity through our salt-laden winters in upstate NY...and was even granted a 5% discount by the dealer.

I just had Rial wheels with winter tires installed on my 2014 Rex. From a short distance the black rims look pretty good on my Solar Orange Rex. Up close, less so. In my opinion, the i3's brake/rotor assembly (whatever one calls all that "stuff") is rather unattractive compared to other vehicles. All of the stock i3 rims do a good job of covering up all that ugliness, maybe more for aerodynamic than aesthetic reasons. The Rial wheels just expose it all.

Back