dc rapid charge

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noakey

Hi all.
Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit dc rapid charge unit to the i3? Ooooor does anyone know of a converter device to convert dc rapid to a for my 7 kw i3.

Retrofit is considered to be impossible, but perhaps it could be done.

Most (possible all) rapid chargers have a type-2 Mennekes output as well as the dc, so can be used to charge the i3 via the ac input.

BrianStanier said:
Retrofit is considered to be impossible, but perhaps it could be done.

Most (possible all) rapid chargers have a type-2 Mennekes output as well as the dc, so can be used to charge the i3 via the ac input.

Ah that's good... i had visions of my bring stranded , but stood next to a rapid charger lol... great I can use ac. . Thank you

It's not just the socket, it's the entire charger and circuitry; well beyond your usual BMW tech guy. I demanded and found one so equipped and now dealer won't order one without it.

AC charging cannot be considered as rapid can it? 3-4 hrs to full where DC 30-60 mins to full.

I would say AC for car parks, DC for services quick stops.

At least for now, the equipment costs for a DC fast charger are out of range for the typical owner for not only the physical cost of the equipment, but the ac power input requirement to make the thing work is beyond the total supply and voltage generally available in a residence. Almost everyone can support 240vac at 30A from their home power.

Back