Anybody booked their UK test drive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Has anyone booked a test drive appointment yet?

Is anybody connected enough to sneak one in before November 16th?

I visited my local dealership today. They have 120 people wanting a test drive! They told me that customers who had already ordered a car would be first up. Actually that seems a bit strange doesn't it? If they have already made their decision - why do they need a test drive? Anyway, I will badger the dealer to get me in one a.s.a.p. after the 16th! At the moment, they still don't know how many cars they will get - and it is only 2 weeks to go!

I think the reason they're giving test drives to people who've put a deposit down is that it's returnable if the customer isn't happy with the car - mine is anyway.

They presumably want to lock in the order and the cash ASAP.

My dealer only getting two cars at launch and both Bev. Disappointing no Rex to drive. Seems to confirm BMW has production issues with this new technology.

gaz26 said:
My dealer only getting two cars at launch and both Bev. Disappointing no Rex to drive. Seems to confirm BMW has production issues with this new technology.

There really isn't a production issue. The REx was a feature that BMW decided to add after the car was originally conceived and it has always been a little behind the rest of the car. As far back as two years ago there were reports the range extender option would be available sometime after the initial launch of the all electric i3. We're only talking 4-5 months after the initial European i3 launch. This has been the plan all along.

I wonder if they'll want you to confirm your order after the test drive - even without a firm delivery date.

I would be reluctant to do that.

I'm also rather reluctant to confirm my order of a REx if I can only test drive the electric only version.

Ride quality is very important to me and I understand the REx has wider rear wheels & tyres which will affect the ride and also add unsprung weight - in addition to the extra weight of the engine itself. I guess the ride could be quite different.

Spoke to my dealer no test drives on weekend of 16/17th. Must admit I am getting a bit irritated by this launch

1. Poor supply of info to dealers re delivery dates
2 lack of REX car to test at UK launch so how can people with early orders decide if they want to proceed with a REx or Bev
3 plenty of hype with TV ads etc but so far I am not madly impressed with the new i consultants. Service seems a notch below what I usually get when buying a BMW. Still waiting finance costs after chasing.

I might pull out of buying.

I ordered my i3 Rex at the beginning of August and was given an November delivery date. Since then I was told it would be the first quarter of the new year and that I would be able to test drive the car on the 16th of November. Today I was told it would be nearer the end of November. Well, I for one have had enough of BMW "drip feeding" us and have cancelled the i3 and ordered a BMW 320d xdrive. I wonder how many others will also cancel with the lack of information and delivery dates getting further and further away?

I understand dealers should be able to view some build slots by Friday. I decided to cancel my order as fed up with the whole process. I don't like this new way of dealing with customers with the dealer only getting a small handling fee. I never got any feedback about my wallbox despite survey being undertaken 3 weeks ago. Just had enough of chasing things.

Good news today!

Dealer says they will have both BeV & REx demos available third week in November.

I ordered a Rex in Oct and have a test drive in a standard car on 17th Nov. Our dealer has just been to Germany and was very impressed by the rex and standard versions and both were coming off the production line, they didn't see a problem with Feb delivery date. I'm keeping the faith and think BMW should be congratulated on pulling this off, most car developments have a flat earth feel about them.

If dealers don't have Rex version for test drives it will restrict the number of potential customers per day that can take an i3 for a spin. Unless they have dealer rapid charging, the recharge times might mean only very short runs per client.

ecoangel said:
If dealers don't have Rex version for test drives it will restrict the number of potential customers per day that can take an i3 for a spin.
Why think that ? Remember, people saying that there are problems with the REx production is just their own guesswork. There is nothing official from BMW stating that so I'm more positive and certainly won't be cancelling my order.

In reality REx cars are becoming available for test drives. Speak to your dealer because mine is getting a REx this weekend (I'm driving it on Monday).

Back