bi directional charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manicilia

Does anyone know if we can not only charge the battery in the i3 but also use available capacity to help run the house (V2G)

There was a post a while back where someone used an inverter and hooked up the i3 battery to his house. He used it as a power supply during a power outage due to a hurricane.

This is not a factory option. Maybe a year or so ago, I read that electric cars sold in Japan need this capability, but I'm not sure if that's for locally manufactured, or any sold there, or if it has actually been implemented. No idea if the i3 has that, but it's not a factory option or a readily promoted or BMW approved capability. It would be useful, though. It does open up a HUGE liability issue if not done right, as you could try to power the grid, overload things, an be a danger to crews trying to get things back on-line.

This needs to be a feature in the car. U need a DC to AC converter , some where.
Currently some vehicles , used by us army has this feature, used in a micro grid . surprisingly they use standard EVSE , which don't have a issue with the backward flow... Just like when you add solar to a home... a grid tied inverter.

Back