BMW I3 -Most Dangerious Steering Of Any Car I've Owned!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
epirali said:
Has OP ONCE posted a comment about anyone or personally attacked anyone?

Yes. Several times. He is no angel ;)

E.g.:

Idleup said:
LOL You remind me of the lady driving down I 95 for 4 miles with a flat!

No need to respond because you aren't reading my posts and this thread can die.

Thanks for the reply's- I'm happy to see that you guys missed me!

Like I keep telling you, if you can't feel the steering problem, you never will - don't worry about it, you're fine - you fit right in with the old lady driving down the road for 4 miles with a flat tire who felt nothing. lol

Even if the steering was fine, are we to look the other way with the magnitude of other inherent problem of the !3 - facts are facts, BMW screwed up and released the car way before it was mechanically ready.

As I mentioned, I've owned and driven most all the the current BMW's to include my I8 and none of them have this problem.

Read my Lips! Its Broken - even BMW admits there have been numerous complaints.

Electron15 said:
As for the original thrust of this thread. Please watch the video of the Motorweek test of the i3 - around the 4 minute mark, doesn't seem to be any issues with steering at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-TK3X4kKRU

Oh my Gosh - use your head, these reviews are performed buy idiots who work for manufactures- please don't tell me you believe these video postcards!

These video's are like having a trial and only use felons for the jury!

Idleup said:
Thanks for the reply's- I'm happy to see that you guys missed me!

Like I keep telling you, if you can't feel the steering problem, you never will - don't worry about it, you're fine - you fit right in with the old lady driving down the road for 4 miles with a flat tire who felt nothing. lol

Even if the steering was fine, are we to look the other way with the magnitude of other inherent problem of the !3 - facts are facts, BMW screwed up and released the car way before it was mechanically ready.

As I mentioned, I've owned and driven most all the the current BMW's to include my I8 and none of them have this problem.

Read my Lips! Its Broken - even BMW admits there have been numerous complaints.

The big question is why do you still own/drive what you consider to be such a flawed car?

Shouldn't you be whining about your C300 in the Merc forums?

Nothing wrong with the i3 steering and personal attacks (old ladies) against anyone who disagrees with you only reflects on yourself.

Here's some good reading . . .

https://transportevolved.com/2014/10/13/bmw-promises-fix-anaemic-acceleration-bmw-i3-rex-range-extended-mode/

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/10/bmw-i3-acceleration-problem-consumer-reports/

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/

http://www.autoconnectedcar.com/2015/04/review-why-im-returning-my-bmw-i3-after-three-months/

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/launch-challenges-leave-i3-owners-inconvenienced-not-discouraged

http://www.bmwi3forum.com/forum/general-discussion/547-bmw-rex-drivetrain-problems.html

Idleup said:
Electron15 said:
As for the original thrust of this thread. Please watch the video of the Motorweek test of the i3 - around the 4 minute mark, doesn't seem to be any issues with steering at all.

Oh my Gosh - use your head, these reviews are performed buy idiots who work for manufactures- please don't tell me you believe these video postcards!

These video's are like having a trial and only use felons for the jury!

Must be a different group of idiots that attributes BMW with this baloney "Read my Lips! Its Broken - even BMW admits there have been numerous complaints." Show us where a spokesmen or executive from BMWNA said that there have been numerous complaints. Truly, why do you have this car if you are so passionately opposed to the steering dynamics?

I traded in my Dinan tuned 135i M-Sport (my favorite day to day car to that point/and I've owned fourteen BMW's including an '79 M1) and frankly I have never looked back. I live in San Francisco and the combination of quick steering, short overall length (15" < a BMW 135i), and height make it the most nimble car I have driven in traffic and certainly the quickest means of getting from point A to point B in the city. A couple of days a week I drive down to the peninsula and have no issues with driving 80 mph +/-. I had it up in the back roads west of Santa Rosa last weekend and it felt precise and toss-able through the twisties. It does not lean significantly yet despite the horrendous rough streets it is comfortable. I speculate that the CFRP life module attenuates the vibrations and shock better than steel unibodies.

I have a very small list of complaints about the i3 and I never cease to be amazed by how it has exceeded my expectations. It is truly the "Ultimate (city) Driving Machine" and is a capable car all around.

Like I said I didn't come here to bash the I3 - only to warn other that an un-expected move on the over-sensitive steering at speeds over 60 mph can result in loss of control. This thread went from a steering topic to you guys bashing me because like a bunch of babies you got you feeling hurt!

Red my lips - and re-read my posts, they are 100% factual nothing but pure facts every single word.

Quit patting yourselves on the back and reassuring yourself you made a good purchase; "You Did Not" accept the fact we all bought a BMW "Toad" - Let me give it to you plain and simple - listen very carefully now; $23,000 loss in value in 5 months means it has cost us $4,600 per month to drive this damn compact broken down electric with a make-shift motorcycle engine - Damn right I'm mad! I could have rented a damn Lamborghini for less!

Buying the wrong car and selling early is always a costly exercise.

If you didn't like the steering or the rear camera option but you still bought it, there is only one person at fault. Look in the mirror and you will recognize him!

I33t said:

If you didn't like the steering or the rear camera option but you still bought it, there is only one person at fault. Look in the mirror and you will recognize him!

Looks like you're having difficulty to understand - let's say there was nothing wrong with the car. (even though we know different)

Listen carefully now, I'll repeat this for you: This BMW Toad has lost $23,000 of value in 5 months which means it has cost $4,600 per month to drive - not just me genius, your car too!

Is any of this starting to make sense to you? LOL

I33t said:

Seems Idleup is in denial.

Let this be a lesson to new car buyers. If you don't choose carefully and sell early because of your choice, it WILL COST YOU!

Idleup said:
Like I said I didn't come here to bash the I3 - only to warn other that an un-expected move on the over-sensitive steering at speeds over 60 mph can result in loss of control. This thread went from a steering topic to you guys bashing me because like a bunch of babies you got you feeling hurt!

Red my lips - and re-read my posts, they are 100% factual nothing but pure facts every single word.

Quit patting yourselves on the back and reassuring yourself you made a good purchase; "You Did Not" accept the fact we all bought a BMW "Toad" - Let me give it to you plain and simple - listen very carefully now; $23,000 loss in value in 5 months means it has cost us $4,600 per month to drive this damn compact broken down electric with a make-shift motorcycle engine - Damn right I'm mad! I could have rented a damn Lamborghini for less!

"Show me the money"
Rod Tidwell - Jerry Maguire

You say "Red my lips - and re-read my posts, they are 100% factual nothing but pure facts every single word. "
As I asked before show us "where a spokesmen or executive from BMWNA said that there have been numerous complaints."

So you actually "bought" your i3? That would explain a bit here. With incentives my lease (and most) are a rather small monthly cost, and with the elimination of a couple hundred bucks in gas cost this car is the next best thing to free. BMW may have a tough time reselling these though with the right price and a decent warranty I imagine these may not be a bad deal even then.

Oh, and I drove over sixty miles today all electric and it was fantastic! (back patting)

Correct. Idleup has been asked to provide details about the 'hundreds of complaints' several times in this thread.

No answer, no evidence.

A lot of posters (most) say they like the steering as it is. There are a couple of other posters with other problems that might partly agree with him. If the problem was major, most members here would be agreeing. They're not.

If you have sold your i3 for $23,000 less than you paid for it, then driving your i3 has been expensive for you. But it hasn't been expensive for those of us who haven't sold our i3's and have no plans to do so anytime soon, or for those who have leased their i3's.

You have also claimed that many i3 owners are dumping their i3's, but I can't find any evidence of your assertion. With over 10,000 i3's having been sold or leased in the U.S., I can find only ~80 used i3's for sale in the entire U.S. Where are all the used i3's that you claim have been dumped by their owners?

Your posts are becoming increasingly bitter. You are making assertions that you haven't and likely can't substantiate. You claim that you post nothing but facts, but they are unsupported and increasingly outrageous. Few reasonable potential i3 buyers would be persuaded by your statements, so you likely aren't saving anyone from your bitter disappointment. It's way past time for you to move on.

Idleup said:
I33t said:

Looks like you're having difficulty to understand - let's say there was nothing wrong with the car. (even though we know different)

Listen carefully now, I'll repeat this for you: This BMW Toad has lost $23,000 of value in 5 months which means it has cost $4,600 per month to drive - not just me genius, your car too!

Is any of this starting to make sense to you? LOL

Now that did make me Laugh out Loud, my i3 is paying off quite handsomely, admittedly the tax rules vary from state to state but I'm looking forward to recouping around $12,000 worth of personal tax this year, on top of the $7500 purchase credit and a Free level 2 charger, negligible fuel bills and Free Vehicle Annual Road Tax. So The car is paying me at the moment. After 5 Months ownership, I recon I'm better off by over $10,000 AFTER taking into account a 20% depreciation hit (VAT tax in the UK) which pretty much any new car takes as soon as you drive of a dealers lot.

You simply failed to do the Numbers and are probably just poor at negotiating anything like a good deal on purchase and trade in. Only you are at fault, not the car not the dealer just you.
Fools and their money eh :lol:

Idleup said:

Based on all the tax credits, which are the main contributor to this depreciation, it seems that you should've been able to predict this and do a lease or Owner's Choice so that you were insulated from the depreciation.

Also, the government covered $7500 of that supposed $23K, and I'm sure that number you keep throwing around is based off MSRP. If you paid MSRP 5 months ago then that was just another bad decision in your purchasing process, and if you didn't then the actual depreciation for you is less than $23K.

As far as I know, only the first-time buyer qualifies for the US Federal tax credit, (and this is probably true for any state incentives as well - anyone know for sure?), so your out of pocket cost after you do your taxes is way less than the list price. Any used car buyer would take that into consideration, thus depressing the used car value. Why would you expect to pay nearly the same amount for a used car as you could get it for new after incentives? Any vehicle takes a big hit when it moves off of the dealer's lot...EV's just have the added impact of first time buyer incentives not available to used car buyers that inflate that drop. This should not be surprising. Generally, the most economical way to use a car is to drive it into the dirt, spreading the depreciation out over many years.

jadnashuanh said:
As far as I know, only the first-time buyer qualifies for the US Federal tax credit, (and this is probably true for any state incentives as well - anyone know for sure?), so your out of pocket cost after you do your taxes is way less than the list price. Any used car buyer would take that into consideration, thus depressing the used car value. Why would you expect to pay nearly the same amount for a used car as you could get it for new after incentives? Any vehicle takes a big hit when it moves off of the dealer's lot...EV's just have the added impact of first time buyer incentives not available to used car buyers that inflate that drop. This should not be surprising. Generally, the most economical way to use a car is to drive it into the dirt, spreading the depreciation out over many years.

I am relatively sure that you can take the federal tax credit multiple times, not sure if it is multiple in a year. The state ones vary from state to state, MD is once, some other states apparently it is annual.

But the federal/state credit is an almost $7500-10K depreciation depending on what state, but obviously it is balanced by the actual credit. But a lot of BEVs (specially Leaf) does depreciate a lot faster than a traditional ICE, have no idea about the i3.

On the federal tax credit, you have to supply the VIN...certainly, if you have multiple purchases, you should be able to use that credit over again (while it still lasts) with each purchase (assuming you have enough income and taxes to qualify for the credit in full), but the question was, can a used car buyer take it as well as the first owner? I do not think so, but I'm not sure.

jadnashuanh said:
On the federal tax credit, you have to supply the VIN...certainly, if you have multiple purchases, you should be able to use that credit over again (while it still lasts) with each purchase (assuming you have enough income and taxes to qualify for the credit in full), but the question was, can a used car buyer take it as well as the first owner? I do not think so, but I'm not sure.

Sorry misread, that is absolutely correct. That is why I was saying you have the built in depreciation, but it doesn't count because you got the money, so its a net 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back