BMW I3 -Most Dangerious Steering Of Any Car I've Owned!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idleup said:
Its OK guys take a word of advise - dump your I3 now!

All the problems and short-falls of the I3 is killing the car and dealers are sitting on them right now - its just a matter of time before word gets out further and you'll be paying somebody to take it off your hands.

BMW with their smoke & mirrors had us all standing in line to by this miracle electric car that in fact is a toad with ton's of problems and we paid Luxury price for a compact piece of junk that in less than a year, no one wants - here's just a few reasons below:

The over-sensitive steering problem come on BMW you got it backwards when the car goes fast its suposed to be less sensitive not more!

Instead of having a real generator like the GM Volt they stick a stupid motorcycle engine in the car and you can't even see the damn engine!

A self-Starting generator (RX) that only starts after the batteries are already too low!

Having a generator in the car that for reasons unknown will not charge the battery! (hello)

The goofy small 2.5 gal fuel tank that was reduced even further to 1.9 gallons usable. (Put a damn fuel tank in the car my lawn mower has a bigger tank)

Shutting down the fuel pump after 1.9 gallons when there is still over 1/2 gal left in your fuel tank! (Hello)

Selling a $50,0000 car without a backup camera (hello)!

Selling a $50,000 car with all the safety hype and not put a blind spot feature in the car!

Selling a $50,000 car with manual pump up seats and no electric or memory.

Having a front trunk in a car that is unusable and leaks worse than being outside.

Bottom line I'm bailing out while i still have a shirt on my back for a real car like this C-300 Mercedes I test drove - Get this! the Mercedes is $6,700 less than I regretfully paid for the I3 - What a major mistake!

Is any of this starting to make sense to you guys?

c300-1.jpg

c300-2.jpg

Maybe not right for the U.S.A. or people not properly looking into what they were buying like you, talking bollocks over what it does not have or does not do.

No use complaining about all the above after buying as you should fully investigate a totally new model as buying is risky and a gamble in regards value but none of your complaints are valid for me as all what you complaining about was in the spec unless you just bought blind without thinking being a big noise wanting to be 1st with one and now regretting it

Idleup said:
Its OK guys take a word of advise - dump your I3 now!

All the problems and short-falls of the I3 is killing the car and dealers are sitting on them right now - its just a matter of time before word gets out further and you'll be paying somebody to take it off your hands.

BMW with their smoke & mirrors had us all standing in line to by this miracle electric car that in fact is a toad with ton's of problems and we paid Luxury price for a compact piece of junk that in less than a year, no one wants - here's just a few reasons below:

The over-sensitive steering problem come on BMW you got it backwards when the car goes fast its suposed to be less sensitive not more!

Instead of having a real generator like the GM Volt they stick a stupid motorcycle engine in the car and you can't even see the damn engine!

A self-Starting generator (RX) that only starts after the batteries are already too low!

Having a generator in the car that for reasons unknown will not charge the battery! (hello)

The goofy small 2.5 gal fuel tank that was reduced even further to 1.9 gallons usable. (Put a damn fuel tank in the car my lawn mower has a bigger tank)

Shutting down the fuel pump after 1.9 gallons when there is still over 1/2 gal left in your fuel tank! (Hello)

Selling a $50,0000 car without a backup camera (hello)!

Selling a $50,000 car with all the safety hype and not put a blind spot feature in the car!

Selling a $50,000 car with manual pump up seats and no electric or memory.

Having a front trunk in a car that is unusable and leaks worse than being outside.

Bottom line I'm bailing out while i still have a shirt on my back for a real car like this C-300 Mercedes I test drove - Get this! the Mercedes is $6,700 less than I regretfully paid for the I3 - What a major mistake!

Is any of this starting to make sense to you guys?

c300-1.jpg

c300-2.jpg

WOW! you can take photos of cars on a lot - Amazing! Well this proves you know how to load photos.

I am willing to bet that the i3 wasn't your first 'mistake' and most likely won't be your last. I (as many, many others on this forum) actually enjoy the I3's steering. I also read over a dozen reviews and watched twice as many videos, and you know what? Not ONE of the reviewers had any issues with the steering. One would think that a reviewer just driving the i3 for the first time would notice and comment on any steering 'anomalies', but none did.

The fact that you are NOW complaining about the manual seat adjustment, the lack of backup camera in the lower level model indicates to me that you didn't do sufficient research before you bought it (if you actually did) and certainly probably didn't take it for a test drive.

For the record, my Frunk stays dry and it has been raining all week long here in Florida. You just have to make sure the rubber that is attached to the hood stays outside the rubber seal on the body (perhaps I'm just lucky)

Could you please post a photo of your car, espcially with a front tire turned towards the camera? I also repectfully request that anyone else complaining about the steering or any other 'major' issues post a photo of thier car, if not there's no proof you actually own an i3, and the complaint is invalid.

I33t said:
I thought it was a truck?

a truck with load came around crossing the median by a bit.

You're taking sharp bends at 30mph?

Someone is trolling, you're right about that.

I'm sorry but this doesn't even make any sense. Please troll in clear and concise English, it's the least you can do.

Electron15 said:
Could you please post a photo of your car, espcially with a front tire turned towards the camera? I also repectfully request that anyone else complaining about the steering or any other 'major' issues post a photo of thier car, if not there's no proof you actually own an i3, and the complaint is invalid.

Oh oh if we are making rules up can I make one up to: please post insane replies to valid comments only on Tuesday and while typing backwards or your comment is invalid!

Thanks.

epirali said:
Electron15 said:

Oh oh if we are making rules up can I make one up to: please post insane replies to valid comments only on Tuesday and while typing backwards or your comment is invalid!

Thanks.

Perhaps, your comprehension is as poor as your steering skills. I did not "Make up a rule", I just made a request. Can you provied a photo of your BMWi3?

I make an EXTREMELY SIMPLE request to ALL - post a photo of your BMWi3, or be quiet.

Electron15 said:
epirali said:
Electron15 said:

Thanks.

Perhaps, your comprehension is as poor as your steering skills. I did not "Make up a rule", I just made a request. Can you provied a photo of your BMWi3?

I make an EXTREMELY SIMPLE request to ALL - post a photo of your BMWi3, or be quiet.

My comprehension is fine, just like my driving skills, I was mocking your "request." Your comprehension, however, can be questioned. A simple "request" doesn't end with a demand. That is a rule or command.

And why would I respond kindly to a rude demand?

IMHO, the i3 does exactly what it was designed to do, and from my first year of ownership, I have not found any safety hazards...I like the car as it is. I did a lot of research on the car before I bought it, and like any vehicle, realized to get it the way I wanted or expected, I might have to buy some options. You have to get to the seven series on a BMW to get a backup camera as standard equipment on the base model of each series from the 2, 3, or 5. Are none of them luxury cars? A backup camera does become 'standard' once you opt for certain engine choices in the line but the point is that it is not standard on BMW's, just like many other vehicles sold by any manufacturer. To pick that as a sign the car is defective or less than desired...so misguided. My guess is that for model year 2016, you'll see more of them having it as standard (this is mandated by the US DOT, and all will have one in 2017 MY).

What ever happened to actual driving skill? Using your mirrors and situational awareness are first line the job of the operator as is maintaining control with two hands on the steering wheel. The i3 goes exactly where you direct it. Some people actually like that!

As to trade-in value...I do not know of any car that doesn't take a fairly big hit the moment you drive it off of the lot. Throw in the fact that most people will have qualified for a $7,500 tax credit, and in some states, maybe double that in incentives...why would you buy a used one for anywhere near the sticker when you can buy a new one and nearly immediately get as much as $10-15K off, not counting what you might have negotiated with the dealer? Sounds a lot like sour grapes to me...buyer beware.

The i3 is not like every other car out there...it was done for a reason. Why is it that people in other parts of the world (we have a fair amount of i3 drivers from the UK here) are not complaining about the 'defects' people here are bringing up? IF you do not like it that way, you should not have bought one. At least most dealers are offering an extended test drive of at least several days. That won't expose every possible situation, but something like the backup camera or the lack of a blind spot detection system certainly would be evident. Personally, I hate sunroofs...I had a MB dealer tell me that they stopped offering it as an option because everyone complained that it was 'standard' on all of the other similar cars...in this case, I had to pay for the increased standard price for something I did not want. I LIKE that it is an option. I expect to get what I pay for, and don't mind doing it. Some people do not want some of the things others find indispensable...if you do, why should your desire impose that cost on everyone else that doesn't want it?

I'll bring this up (I've mentioned it before) as an insight into the way the Germans view driving as a privilege that requires demonstrated skill before you can get a license. They expect you to know the rules of the road, and to maintain control of your car. They have a vehicle inspection system that makes the typical one in the USA look like a joke to ensure people actually maintain the car at near optimum (like checking the four-wheel braking capability and the evenness between each wheel and front/back). And, I can say this from experience (didn't happen to me but did to my boss)...they enforce it...he was being typical American lazy out on the road on a curve and his wheels touched the center line twice around a curve...he got two moving violation tickets on his leased vehicle which German plates (and he had a German name and spoke German, too, so even though he was an American, there was no obvious outward indication). IOW, they expect you to be paying attention and to control your car. The average American driver is so sloppy, maybe he cannot successfully manage a precision tool like an i3.

If you don't like the car, sell it and don't look back...you probably should never have bought it in the first place. In my case, I'm glad I did, and expect to keep it for a very long time - it's doing everything I wanted it to and I do not believe that I'm alone.

+1, at least Idleup has revealed which brand he is posting on behalf of now. But if he is a real punter I suspect the Merc salespeople will enjoy fleecing him just as much. That is if he doesn't die in a horrible accident of his own making in the parking lot.

epirali said:
PluviaPlumbum said:
Outstanding research there Mr Epirali! you profess to be an expert or at least experienced in EV ownership and performance suspensions, yet you say you managed to decline a 3 day test drive offer to see if the car actually did meet your needs. You have posted a lot on this forum asking about various aspects of Rex ownership, and ' claim ' your not Trolling when other i3 owners disagree with your viewpoint. Likely as not I think you might well be working some negative PR for another manufacturer.

Wow paranoid much?

I did do a lot of research, and as I said I failed to take the 3 day test drive. Partly because I had to make a decision by the day I came back from an extended trip. So I had to do most of my research remotely. I own 4 electric powered vehicles right now, if that is not enough experience for you then may I ask how many do you have? And this doesn't include the Tesla S which I have test driven a few times (different variants).

And I never said it didn't meet my needs, I said it has come significant flaws. And far worse some of the flaws are just from bad decision making, not from anything inherent to the car.

And finally as I have said elsewhere the i3 is just a commuter car for me, so it wasn't really that important that it be perfect. I just was not prepared for how bad it is in some aspects.

Is that better?

Paranoid, no. I'm just very very sceptical of your bona fides, you now say you have a fleet of electric vehicles, and a couple of other BMW's if I recall accurately from some of your other posts to which you decided to add another one which despite your 'extensive' research you were Forced? into taking a snap decision to purchase. Add to the fact that you cannot respond to the requests made by others for a simple picture of your car(s) - not a stock one please, a note over the front licence plate that says Epirili is not a shill would look good.

This is my first BMW and first electric car & won't be my last, I will add another BEV to my stable when I next need to replace one.

Your own observations ( if that is what they are are), seem to be full of inconsistencies, while you actively antagonise others who disagree with what you post. Classic negative PR strategy, but I think you have overreached yourself a bit now. If I'm wrong you can prove it with a simple photo and I will gladly eat humble pie and post a withdrawal. Somehow I don't think you will be doing that though.

Wow, this thread is still going...
I haven't looked in about a two weeks.
Talk about saying the same thing over and over...Yeah, I get it. You're unhappy with everything with the car.
This entire thread is nothing but tautological discourse. :ugeek:

There is nothing to see here.
Keep on moving
Don't feed the trolls.

epirali said:
I33t said:
I thought it was a truck?

a truck with load came around crossing the median by a bit.

You're taking sharp bends at 30mph?

Someone is trolling, you're right about that.

I'm sorry but this doesn't even make any sense. Please troll in clear and concise English, it's the least you can do.

Lol. Good response for someone caught out. The original vehicle crossing into your lane was a TRUCK (you said) and you forgot.

Probably never happened!

You're a Volt salesperson or something? Why would anyone be so anti.

I'm happy to discuss issues with the i3, but I have no time for haters or industry shills. Especially when they reckon the steering is 'dangerous' when there is no one agreeing other than one other hater who complains about not having stuff they didn't even order.

Thanks for the reply's - it really has nothing to do with skill - we all have been driving without electric seats, blind side, backup cameras, etc. for decades, but when your paying $53,000 for a compact car and their are other manufactures are offering cars from $15-20K and including these features, you know you're getting screwed.

Hey look its fine! If you guys are OK and want to look the other way with the numerous errors and mistakes of the I3 then fine keep on driving!

I like you guys went down to the dealer with a smile on my face and paid out good money for a car with ton's of mistakes. The problem is while BMW bundles all that money in the bank, all us suckers who bought the I3 are and will be paying the price for their errors in the value of our car - words out there already, people are dumping them and the sales are gone.

If the car was good you would not be able to find them - I did a search on Cars.com and in my zip code area there are 2,105 of these broken down stripped electrics sitting on lots with no one to buy them because of the lousy engineering, mistakes, and most importanty over-priced.

BMW got us all - accept the fact that you're no different than me, and you own this bundle of mistakes that now even becomes a danger to the buyers, I've owned almost every recent BMW they ever built and none have this over-sensitive steering problem, nor the error ridden RX battery programming that has drivers doing 40 mph on Interstates because BMW with all their genius's could not even figure out when to correctly start the damn generator to keep the batteries at a operational level.

Have a great day - I'll be out there Car-shopping!

Idleup said:
Thanks for the reply's - it really has nothing to do with skill - we all have been driving without electric seats, blind side, backup cameras, etc. for decades, but when your paying $53,000 for a compact car and their are other manufactures are offering cars from $15-20K and including these features, you know you're getting screwed.

Hey look its fine! If you guys are OK and want to look the other way with the numerous errors and mistakes of the I3 then fine keep on driving!

I like you guys went down to the dealer with a smile on my face and paid out good money for a car with ton's of mistakes. The problem is while BMW bundles all that money in the bank, all us suckers who bought the I3 are and will be paying the price for their errors in the value of our car - words out there already, people are dumping them and the sales are gone.

If the car was good you would not be able to find them - I did a search on Cars.com and in my zip code area there are 2,105 of these broken down stripped electrics sitting on lots with no one to buy them because of the lousy engineering, mistakes, and most importanty over-priced.

BMW got us all - accept the fact that you're no different than me, and you own this bundle of mistakes that now even becomes a danger to the buyers, I've owned almost every recent BMW they ever built and none have this over-sensitive steering problem, nor the error ridden RX battery programming that has drivers doing 40 mph on Interstates because BMW with all their genius's could not even figure out when to correctly start the damn generator to keep the batteries at a operational level.

I really shouldn't reply, but I just HAVE to...
Do you even own a car? Especially an i3? Are you old enough to drive?

Before you get your new car, please post a picture of your current i3, please, please, please.

Enjoy your car shopping, a word of advice - READ about the car you think you want, watch Videos of it, test drive it and then when /if you actually buy one - come back and tell us all all about what a mistake it was - LOL

Electron15 said:
Idleup said:

I really shouldn't reply, but I just HAVE to...
Do you even own a car? Especially an i3? Are you old enough to drive?

Before you get your new car, please post a picture of your current i3, please, please, please.

Enjoy your car shopping, a word of advice - READ about the car you think you want, watch Videos of it, test drive it and then when /if you actually buy one - come back and tell us all all about what a mistake it was - LOL

Unlike you, I'm on the fore-front of new vehicles doing the research when there are no videos or anything to read about other than self-serving manufacture hype!

Regarding your other goofy question - if I even own a car or old enough to drive - I hope this answers your question - Here's just a few!

Any other questions?

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

Two comments:

1.) Wow, those are nice and shiny cars. I have never had cars that clean. You even polished the treads.

2.) People will continue to have opinions and disagree with yours. You are entitled to evaluation and comments. I would accept that you have made your point and be satisfied. Don't respond to people who ask that you prove your ownership or worth.

I'm outta here. Time to move on. :arrow:

MGS9500 said:
Two comments:

1.) Wow, those are nice and shiny cars. I have never had cars that clean. You even polished the treads.

2.) People will continue to have opinions and disagree with yours. You are entitled to evaluation and comments. I would accept that you have made your point and be satisfied. Don't respond to people who ask that you prove your ownership or worth.

Thanks for the reply - and you're right!

I'm not trying to upset anyone or ask them to stop driving or sell their cars. I started the steering thread in hopes of making drivers aware to the fact the over-sensitive steering could and will be dangerous in some driving situations where if a driver over-reacts it could result in total loss of control.

I'm the good guy here!

Regards!

PS the threads are shiny because It just rained - the dark blacktop and slick threads looks pretty neat right!

Idleup said:
MGS9500 said:
Two comments:

I'm not trying to upset anyone or ask them to stop driving or sell their cars. I started the steering thread in hopes of making drivers aware to the fact the over-sensitive steering could and will be dangerous in some driving situations where if a driver over-reacts it could result in total loss of control.

I'm the good guy here!

Regards!

PS the threads are shiny because It just rained - the dark blacktop and slick threads looks pretty neat right!

My apologies - really. Your i3 must have a defect, have you tried driving another i3. You could have chosen the Mega-world and do you really need power seats? I mean you basically adjust them once and that's it. why carry the extra weight and complexity. It's not like you're going to drive a long distance in the i3.

A question if I may, why did you get the ELR? why not a Tesla?

Nice cars- good luck with them.

power seats + memory settings are actually pretty helpful with multiple drivers. My wife and I swap cars all the time.

Electron15 said:
Idleup said:
MGS9500 said:
Two comments:

I'm the good guy here!

Regards!

My apologies - really. Your i3 must have a defect, have you tried driving another i3. You could have chosen the Mega-world and do you really need power seats? I mean you basically adjust them once and that's it. why carry the extra weight and complexity. It's not like you're going to drive a long distance in the i3.

A question if I may, why did you get the ELR? why not a Tesla?

Nice cars- good luck with them.

Thanks for the reply - Yes, I have driven now 7 different I3's they are all the same - as I mentioned, BMW is well aware of the problem and doing nothing about it. Somewhat like the goofy 2.5 gallon fuel tank that they deliberately shut the fuel pump down after 1.9 gallons, so they can get some goofy points, or like running the battery almost dead before the RX kicks in only to find out you can do 40 mph up a hill. Or like having a damn generator that for reasons unknown will not charge its own battery?? (Hello!)

I don't need power anything - I just stated that for $53,000 it should have it - there are $15-20K cars that backup and blind side are standard equipment. BMW is banging their customers making them buy parking options to get the damn $20.00 camera when it could save a life.

Sorry, no use for the Tesla with its 7,000 laptop batteries and no generator. The ELR is a sweetheart, good looks, tons of features, gets around 45-50 miles on charge, automotive engine, you can just jump in her and head across the country without a worry of charging - the ELR charges her own batteries - The ELR & Volt are the only real "Electric / Gas" car out there.

For myself - I have no use for a battery only car, my business takes me everywhere, I don't have time to route to unknown places and sit and charge and wait. I don't like stopping in metropolitan areas where most fast chargers are located with a $100K car defenseless while low life's are roaming the street picking up cigarette butts!

My simple electric logic is; Charging an electric car is something that should be done at home and not on public streets, its far too dangerous out there!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back